College

Naomi Scott as Hailey

Looking over my suitcase again I sighed. I've double checked everything, now I was just wasting time.

My year of freedom was up, now I had to attend college, per our agreement.

My parents agreed to let me have a year to travel once I finished high school, only if I agreed to go to a college of their choosing next year. I jumped on the opportunity for several reasons. One, my parents are very strict, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Two, I've always wanted to see more outside of Texas.

"Hailey, are you done packing?" Mother was coming down the hall, soon she'll see that I was indeed done packing and force me to the car. Thinking fast I opened the suitcase pulling out a few shirts tossing them to the side, messing them up so they'll have to be folded again.

She stopped in the doorway, clicking her tongue in disapproval. "Hailey your father is waiting for you. What is taking so long?" Walking the rest of the way in she started putting the shirts I just tossed out back into my suitcase. Without folding them.

"Why can't I enroll Monday? It's Friday mom! It's pointless for me to go today." The look she gave me could melt a candle. My mother was pretty intimidating, she was tall for a woman and always looked ready for battle. In fact she even had a few battle scars to prove it. Before I was born both her and my dad were in the military. It's where they met, a story they liked to share whenever they had too much to drink.

My father was also tall with dark features unlike mine. I looked nothing like my father, or my mother really. We had a few things similar, like our nose and attitude but that was it.

"We had a deal, you're leaving today." I sighed, it was pointless to argue with her on this. It's not like I was backing out completely, just wanted to prolong the inevitable.

"Fine, then I'm finished." I didn't care that I was pouting, I've never been a fan of school.

She smiled, now that she won the argument she's going to act like mother of the year. "Trust me honey, nineteen year olds enjoy living on their own. You'll have a lot of freedom." Even though I took a year traveling, I was not alone. My parents insisted I took  Landon with me, the son of their life long friends. Which wasn't too bad, he's pretty damn hot and kept me entertained most of the trip. Inside and outside the bedroom. Not that I was going to tell my parents that, they'll try to kill him. I bit my lip just thinking about him.

"I'll have a roommate, I can get more freedom here." Not only were they forcing me to go to college, but I had to live on campus as well. 'To get the full experience" more like get rid of me experience.

"Oh hush, grab your suitcase and let's go." She turned back once at the door, "And do something with your hair honey, it looks atrocious."

Rolling my eyes I went to my dresser to hunt down a brush, hoping I didn't pack them all.
My hair was usually tamed during the day, but I was rushing to pack since I waited till the last minute. Like literally till my father was warming up the car.

My hair was strange, it was raven black and smooth. But in the back underneath was a layer of different colors. Green, blue, red, orange, and a light Grey. The strange part about that is I've never dyed my hair, ever. And it's been like that since I was a kid. I asked my parents about it but they didn't have an answer either.

"Hailey!"

"I'm coming!" Grabbing my suitcase I hurried to the door. Living my old life behind.

2 hours later...

"Oh I'm going to miss you so much! My little butterfly." I stood there as she planted kisses on my face. Other students that was late like me pointed and laughed, but I couldn't care less. What I did care about was my mother acting like this was my first time leaving her. As I mentioned before, I just came back from traveling.

"Father, control your woman." He laughed, wrapping his arms around her white waist.

"Woman of mine, let her be." She sniffed, planting a fat one on my left cheek.

"You behave ok? And if you need anything don't hesitate to call us." My mother was a hard-core woman, but when it came to me she was a teddy bear. I was their miracle baby, after several tries and too many heart breaking miscarriages, they had me.

Wrapping her in a hug I pulled her to me, wrenching her out of my father arms. "You know I will, I love you mom."

"I love you so much butterfly." For a moment I didn't want to let her go. I was starting another chapter of my life without her.

"Come on Claire we have to get back, the weather is going to be bad." My dad had to pry her off me and drag her to the car. I smiled waving bye to them.

Once their car disappeared I turned to face my new living quarters. Fairmont state, school of the privelage. I can't wait to meet all the stuck up snobs.

Dragging my suitcase to the front desk I waited for the desk lady to get off the phone. "And you are?" She asks, popping her gum.

"Hailey Flores," She sighed, typing something in her computer. Was I bothering her by making her do her job? What an inconvenience I was.

She printed out a piece of paper handing it to me. "You're in dorm 2B on the second floor. Your roommate already checked in." I nodded, taking it from her.

It didn't take long for me to find my room, or hear the loud music coming from within it. Great, my roommate likes to blast music before 2pm.

"You must be Hailey!" A short auburn haired girl jumped off the bed to greet me. "I'm Novah, the person you'll be sharing your space with for the rest of the year." She smiled, extending a hand.

"Nice to meet you." Her smile was radiant, practically lighting up the whole room. It was so contagious I couldn't help but smile back, even if I was annoyed by the loud music.

She rushed over to the sterio placed next to her bed, turning it off. "Sorry about the music, it was just a bit lonely in here by myself."

"So you don't plan on blasting music every morning when you wake up?" I asks, smiling.

She giggled, "Of course not! I hardly ever use this thing, my mother made me bring it. She loves music."

"Oh thank God," I breathed,"I thought I was doomed for a year."

Rolling her eyes she sat on her bed. Her side of the room was already done. Pictures of friends and family all scattered across the wall, including a few interesting pictures of dragons. Was she into world of warcraft or something? "Nice to know my roommate has a sense of humor. You wouldn't believe the girl they put me with last year!"

Dropping my bags on the opposite side of the room with the empty bed, I sat down facing her. "This isn't your first year here?"

"Second actually, I can't wait to introduce you to my friends!" My roommate was very bubbly, and I have a feeling I'm going to get into a lot of trouble with her.

I'm promising myself that no matter what, I'll try new things while I'm here, and make new friends. Starting with this group Novah is excited for me to meet. "I can't wait." I will enjoy this year of college, no matter what.