Chapter 5

Stepping out of the car I knew it was going to be a long night. We had to park almost two blocks away due to lack of parking space. Their were a couple of other people walking to the house as well. Leah took the lead, followed closely by Novah and I. "I regret wearing heels." She complained.

It was cool out, meaning we didn't have to wear jackets and ugly sweaters to cover our amazing outfits. Though after seeing the way the girls in front of us were dressed, I felt very undressed. I thought this was a party not a fashion show.

"It hurts to look good Mami." She grinned at me over her shoulder. The closer we got to the house the louder the music got. Many people were spread out across the front lawn dancing and smoking. A bouncer or security card stood at the front door, giving everyone a look over before letting them pass. I didn't miss how much longer his eyes rested on Leah compared to us.

Stepping into the house was like stepping into a smoke cloud. I don't know if they have a fog machine on or someone was just having a good time. "I think the kitchen is this way." Leah yelled over the music, pointing to the left of her.

We shuffled through smoke and people like penguins until we reached the kitchen. There was a mini bar set up around the island and a blonde haired guy mixing drinks and taking orders. "What do I have here? A couple of sirens washed up on shore?" He grinned at us, shaking a metal bottle.

Leah leaned on the counter, capturing his attention. "I'm sure you say that to all the girls." She says, an alluring tone to her voice that would make you believe she really is a siren.

Novah nudged me, "I don't think we'll be getting a drink now." We both watched the bartender stop everything he was doing leaning forward to listen to whatever else Leah was saying. "He's her type, she's practically marking her territory right now."

I giggled, reaching around him to grab two beers. "I guess we're on our own then." Clanking our bottles together we shuffled back to the smokey living room. The smoke, surprisingly smelled very fruity. "What is with all the smoke?" I accidentally inhaled a lung full, making me cough slightly.

A warm hand landed on my back, patting it a couple of times before retreating. "I take it you don't vape?" A tall figure moved around to stand in front of me.

I looked up at the tall male in front of me, taking a surprising step back. He was gorgeous! Bright red hair atop a face made of marble, seeming to be crafted by the gods. Was he one of the frat boys? I don't remember seeing him around campus, he has the type of face you can't forget. He looked more like a model than your average college boy. "Cat got your tongue, love?" And he has an accent! What is that? British? Australian?

"Move along Lucas, this one is spoken for." Novah says, looping her arm through mines. There was a tightness to her face that wasn't there moments ago. She knew him? But how?

Lucas raised an eyebrow. "You're dating her? I always knew -"

"We're not together." I say, cutting him off before rumors started flying.

They had a stare off for several seconds, then his attention switched back to me. "I didn't get your name, love?" He says, an easy smile coming back to his face.

"Hailey." I bit my lip, mesmerized by him. He smiled, someone called his name from across the room. I looked around him to see a group of teenagers lounging on the couch, the smoke thicker there than anywhere else.

"I hope we run into each other again Ms.Hailey." He says winking, before turning to be with his group.

Next to me Novah let out a long sigh. "You should stay away from him Hailey, he's nothing but bad news."