Chapter 7

Come Monday morning all people could talk about was the first party of the year. I on the other hand, wanted to forget about it. In my first two classes the females discussed who they hooked up with, and who they almost hooked up with. You'd think they'd be focusing more on the sudden tests sprung upon us. But no, apparently almost getting Bradley in bed was more important.

"You look like you just ate something sour." Leah points out, taking a brush through her already tamed hair. She text me ten minutes ago begging me to meet her in the restroom, and to bring a hair brush. Lucky for her I was done with class work and could leave. And for the last ten minutes she's been brushing it.

"Who is Bradley?"

She chuckled, rolling her eyes. "He's in his last year here and on the football team. Every female within a twenty mile radius wants to sink their claws in him."

"Why?" She shrugs, pulling out some eyeliner.

It suddenly felt like there was a shift in the air. My body came alive with sparks, my skin crackling like the cereal. "Do you feel that?" I frown at Leah who seems unaffected by whatever I was feeling.

Her eyes shifted to me in the mirror, her eyebrows pulling together. "Feel what?"
I watched the hair on my arms stand up, wisps of dark smoke slithering across my arm. I cried out in surprise, falling to the floor. "Holy shit!" Leah drops to the floor next to me, "Hailey? Are you ok?" She grabs my arm, pulling my attention back to it. There were no shadows. "Hailey?"

My frightened eyes meet her concerned ones. I squeeze them shut, trying to gain control of myself. It was just the trick of the light, you're fine. "I'm fine," I try to give her a reassuring smile, but she still watches me wearily. Getting off the floor I force her to stand up as well. "Mind if I use the brush?"

She continues to watch, making me shift uncomfortably. Did she think I was a freak? Was she going to tell the others? "Sorry about that, I just thought I saw something."

Finally she backs off, handing me the brush. Her phone goes off in her pocket and she steps away to read her text. "What the hell?" She mumbles, typing frantically. Facing the mirror I run the brush through my hair a few times, my eyes straying to my arm every once in a while. Did I imagine that? Where did it go? Was I going crazy?  I shook my head, turning on the cold water. Cupping my hands under it I let them fill with water, before splashing it on my face. The cold water felt amazing on my warm skin, making me feel ten times better. "I got to go." She announce, looking at me once before leaving.

Did I freak her out? Hell, I freaked myself out. What was wrong with me? Why was I seeing things?

Grabbing a paper towel I dried my face off. It was time to meet up with Novah and the others for lunch. Leah and I was supposed to go together, but looks like she's avoiding me now.

-
I grabbed a meal from McDonald's then made my way to their usual table. "Hailey!" Novah smiled at me, patting the seat next to her. I couldn't help but notice that Leah was missing.

"Hey Novah," I looked around the table at the other two, "and Ethan and Noah." Noah nodded, always a man of few words.

"Hey cupcake, looking sweet as ever." Ethan winks at me.

"And you're looking rejected as ever." Novah scoffs, making me giggle. Their bickering was always amusing.

"Where's Leah?" I stiffen at the mention of her, and Noah notices. "You know?"

I shrug, trying to seem nonchalant. "I met her in the restroom earlier, but she left in a hurry after brushing her hair." Or after the incident.

"Probably for a dick appointment." Noah smacks Ethan upside the head. "Ow! What the hell dude!?"