Chapter 26

Hailey

I squint, watching Lucas run at me full speed, then giggle. Is that smoke coming out of his ears? He's literally smoking hot, haha.

The wind is knocked out of me when I'm pushed to the side, falling to the ground. I look up just in time to see Lucas crash into Adrian. They fall to the ground, snarls and growls echoing around the clearing.

Lucas lands a hard punch on Adrian's face, and my dragon snarls. Before I can stop her, I shift into my dragon. A loud roar fills the air as she voice her displeasure.

Everyone takes a fearful step back as she licks her lips. She release another loud roar, and one by one they start shifting into their dragons. Everyone but Adrian.

She stands protectively next to him, eyeing every dragon with a threat in her eyes. I watch in shock as they all bow, low whines escaping them. Holy shit! My dragon is badass.

"Shift back Hailey." I warm hand lands on my side. My dragon whines, wanting to spend time with his dragon side. Adrian gives her a warm smile, the asshole never looks at me like that. "I'll let him take you flying later princess, I promise." What a suck up. But his words does the trick. My dragon gives me control again and I shift back.

"What the hell was that?" Lucas shouts, standing. I guess it's not ever day someone makes him how down. I smirk, my foggy brain starting to clear. Seems my dragon has another secret ability, making me sober.

"That, was none of your business." Adrian grabs my arm, staring daggers at Lucas. Leah's eyes widen. And I wonder if it's because she picked up on the same thing I did. He was lying, somehow the bond exposed that to me. But what was he lying about? What business did we have with Lucas?

And then it clicks. He must be my fire dragon guard! "Oh my."

"We're leaving." I stumble as he forcibly pulls me toward his car.

"Wait, Adrian is he-"

"No." I frown.

"And how do you know he's not?" The glare he gives me could melt a glacier.

"We'll discuss this later." He pulls the door open for me and pushes me in. My dragon purrs. Wow, someone is into a little BDSM. How could she be ok with him man handling us like that?

Adrian joins me in the car seconds later, slamming his door. "Adrian-"

"It's a mistake, he's not one of your guards." Getting real tired of him cutting me off.

"Just because you hate him doesn't mean he's not chosen. This is bigger than your problems."

He grunts. "You're my problem." I roll my eyes as he start up the car.

Suddenly the back door opens. "Just going to leave your sister?" Leah ask, sliding into the backseat.

"Yes."

"Ignore him, he's on his period." I laugh, watching his hands clench on the steering wheel. He pulls off before she even has the door fully close.

"So Lucas is one of her guards?" She asks, leaning between the console. I eye the abandoned seatbelt behind her. I swear dragons care nothing about something.

"No, he's not."

I turn to face her. "He says he's not, but I'm one hundred percent sure he doesn't really know. He won't even entertain the idea." I get they have bad history between each other. But that's the past, right now what happens in the future is more important.

"Hailey, have I ever told you that you talk too much?" He pulls onto a back road, going at least thirty miles over the speed limit. Like I said, dragons care nothing about safety.

"If there's even a possibility that he's one of her guardians we have to know. And do the blood exchange as soon as possible." She says, trying to be the voice of reason. He doesn't respond, but the car does speed up.

"None of it will matter if I die in a car crash." I grip the door handle, double checking that my seatbelt is secured.

"She's right Adrian, maybe slow down a bit? We have a princess in the car."

He chuckles. "She's only a princess by title." God I wanna smack him.

Do it. I glare at him, seeing the challenge in his eyes and the smug look on his face.

"Adrian look out!" My head snaps to the front. Seeing what made Leah scream. A tall dark figure is standing in the street almost ten feet away.

Adrian slams down on the break, the door slides trying to stop. We're too close to the figure and won't stop in time, we'll hit them. In a panic I grab the steering wheel, jerking us to the right.

I scream as the car starts to flip, thankfully I'm secured in my seatbelt, but the dashboard is unavoidable. My head smacks it, and everything goes dark.

I groan, my head throbbing painfully. My eyes open but all I see is blue. I'm moving, but how?

"Are they still knocked out." A voice says above me. I tilt my head back, a dark figure is bent over me. That's when my brain clears and I realize what's going on. I'm being dragged from the car. I try to call out for help, but all I do is groan. My head feels like it's splitting in two! I try to force my body into some kind of roll, hoping the person lose their grip on me. "Nu uh, none of that princess." My body goes cold, they know who I am.

Suddenly I'm lifted into the air. I scream out in pain. Yup something is definitely bruised. I'm tossed over a shoulder as they walk further from the crash.

Adrian! I shout through the link. He must be passed out, or worse. I get no respond, my worry skyrockets. I need to get free and make sure he's ok. I try looking over my shoulder, but my body is in too much pain. "Stop moving." A voice demands, a male voice I realize.

A loud roar cuts through the air, giving me hope. Adrian! The man holding me stiffens. Yeah that's right, be afraid.

"Tranq him." The sound of something loading captures my attention. Oh God. I reach for my dragon, but she's not there. Not sleep or anything, just gone. What the hell? "Give me one for the princess."

My eyes widen. If they put me to sleep who knows where I'll wake up. "Wait-" I start, only for something to pinch my arm.

"Sleep tight princess."