Chapter 27

Leah

I watch two men drag an unconscious Adrian and Hailey into separate cells. I move to the bars of my own cell, feeling helpless. This is all my fault. Adrian warned me not to take Hailey outside the clan house. I just wanted to give my friend a day to relax. First she finds out she's a dragon. Then she finds out she's a dragon princess? That's a lot to throw on a person.

Moving from the bars I sit on the cot against the wall. It's the only thing in the cell besides a filthy toilet.

How did this night take such a turn? Someone has been watching us, waiting for us to let our guard down.

The men that took us wore all black. In my head I joked they must be part of the shadow clan. Though I've never seen them in my life.

Who are these people? They know Hailey is a princess, they said as much as they kidnapped her. But how? We've barely shared that information with anyone.

The door at the end of the hall opens, a man with blonde hair dressed in a grey suit walks in. He stops at both of their cells, shaking his head in annoyance when he sees they're still asleep. Then his eyes land on me. I jerk back in surprise from the intensity. His eyes are an electric blue, capturing my attention and making my heart speed up. Without the words needing to be spoken, I know without a doubt the man in front of me is my mate. "Well what do we have here?"

He walks over to my cell, grinning at me through the bars. "Let us go." I demand.

He clicks his tongue. "You're in no position to make demands mate." Nodding to the guy next to him, he shifts back as the guy pulls out a set of keys. "Sad we meet under such circumstances."

I glare. "You mean kidnapping us?"

A quiet chuckle leaves him. "Would it make you feel better if I told you they were supposed to leave you?" He winks.

"No." The guy steps into the cell, grabbing my arm in a vice like grip.

"Easy." My mate hiss. They drag me from my cell and I scream in protest. "Gag her." He orders when I don't stop screaming. The guy stops, pulling a dirty sock from his pocket. I instantly shut up, no way they're putting that in my mouth! "Good." We continue down the hall and I force myself not to look into the cells. Seeing my brother captured is something I never imagined. Especially by people we don't know. I always assumed it anybody we going to throw my brother into a cell it'd be the fire clan.

These people? We have no idea who they are. Only that they want Hailey.

Hailey

The sound of screaming wakes me, I blink in confusion at the stone ceiling. Where am I? An intense feeling of anger fills me, and it takes me a second to realize it's not my anger. It's my dragon, she's furious about something. And I have a feeling it has to do with the hard bed I'm laying on.

I sit up, wincing at the feeling of laying on something so stiff for too long. It's dark, with only one light bulb illuminating the cell I'm in. My heart starts to race in terror. Why am I in a cell?

A door slams at the far end of the hallway. I jump to my feet, rushing to the bars to look out. "Hey! Let me out of here!" It's so silent I can hear my heart beat. Where am I?

Movement to my left has my head snapping to the side. Adrian pace back and forth in his cell. "Adrian!" It's a relief to see him, for both me and my dragon. At least I'm not in this alone. He doesn't respond, which worries me. "Adrian? Where are we? Do you know who has us?" He doesn't stop pacing, and for a moment I wonder if I'm hallucinating. When he still doesn't respond I sigh, moving back to the bed. Ok, there's a chance I'm on my own in this. Think Hailey, how do we get out of this? "Dragon, if you want to go Apex mode right now I won't stop you."

"Don't shift." Adrian snarls. Oh, now he can talk? I ignore him, focusing on my dragon. If I shift I'd be big enough to destroy this cell. "Hailey," his voice holds a warning. How does he even know I'm still trying? It's pointless anyways, the shift isn't happening. I fall back against the bed in defeat.

"Please tell me you have a plan."

"They took Leah, he's her mate. Whoever brought us here." I straighten up in surprise.

"How do you know?"

"Faked sleep." Faked sleep? Why didn't he try to stop them. "This complicates things."

"How? We break out and take her with us. Her mate is clearly a psycho." And I know all about psycho mates.

"No, we find out what they want from you. And if they threaten your life I'm killing them." He says like we're discussing the weather. I'm inclined to agree with him, butt then I think about Leah. How would she function if he kills her mate? I haven't known Adrian long, but I know a part of me would die if he were killed.

"We can't kill him." I say quietly. I can't and won't sit by and watch him do it.

"She'll get over it." I flinch at his words.

"Would you get over me?" I whisper. We don't have the closest relationship, and I wouldn't blame him if he said yes. Butt my dragon would.

"No." His answer is so low that I barely hear him. I try to keep the smile off my face. "Stop smiling, or I'll change my mind." He grunts, making me glare.

"How are we going to get out of here?" Are we stuck until whoever put us here comes to get us?

"We use the shadows."