Chapter 14

Waking the next morning I felt like a new person. Sure my body was sore, but I felt like I was floating. And an over power sense of longing. I reached out, hoping and not hoping to touch someone. When I felt nothing but empty sheets, I cracked an eye open.

The room was empty, and apparently it wasn't morning after all. I sat up, looking at the darkness outside. What time was it? How long have I been sleep?

Throwing the dark blanket off me, I searched the floor for my clothes. As I reached for my shirt, a burst of shadows shot from my open palm. I fell back with a scream of surprise. What the hell was that?

A knock on the door made me jump. "Hailey? Are you ok?" Why is it every time I woke up Leah is the first person I see? I ignored her, reaching for my shirt again. Sighing in relief when nothing happened.

Once finally dressed I sat on the edge of the bed. I mated Adrian. What the hell was I thinking? One minute I was pro rejecting. Next I'm under him purring like a cat. Did he do something to me? Some kind of dragon magic?

"Hailey?" Her voice came again, quieter this time. Reluctantly I got up to open the door. Her face was blank, as I'm sure mine was. "Adrian locked the door before he left so no one can bother you."

I raised an eyebrow.  "And yet you're here." I know I sounded like a bitch, but I wasn't sure how to act. Just underneath the surface of my anger and confusion, I missed him. There was something in me that could feel him, feel how far away he was.

"You mated." I fought the blush that wanted to appear. "I know you must have questions..."

Sighing, I opened the door wider inviting her in. We both sat on the bed, awkwardly avoiding eye contact. "Where is he?" I demanded.

"He left this morning to visit the fairy dragons."

"Why?"

"She's not authorized to tell you that." Someone interrupted us. A tall Brunette stood glaring at the door. I rolled my eyes, guess this is the jealous ex. Wonderful, where was he hiding this hag?

"Bianca, you're not supposed to be here." Leah glared.

She stepped into the room, barely sparing her a glance. "As second in command I can go where I please."

It was hard not to laugh after that. She was trying to assert her dominance and let it be known she was important. If she came to intimidate me, she was going to be very disappointed. "Something funny?" She arched a perfectly good eyebrow my way, challenging  me. When Adrian returns I'll be sure to inform him about keeping his toys on a leash.

"Is there a reason you're here?" I let my annoyance leak out.

Her hand went to her hip, where I noticed a small dagger. I sighed heavily, is she implying she came to kill me. "I was informed a human was here."

"And?" Her body twitched in anger at my question. I guess with her being second in command no one questioned her. Leah watched the exchange with rapt interest.

"Claiming to be the mate of the shadow king." She snarled the word mate.

"It's no claim Bianca, they consumed it last night." Leah stated snugly, unaware how embarrassing it was telling everyone I fucked her brother.

Bianca smirked,  "If that's true, where's her mating tattoo?" Leah glanced at me, waiting for something.

"Hold the hell on, I'm not getting his name tattooed on me." I growled. Since last night I've been more accepting wuthering being his mate, that did not mean I wanted to brand myself.

Bianca giggled,  "You don't have one, case closed. She's not his -" My scream of pain cut her off. A searing pain of pins and needles had me clutching my neck. It burned like a mother fudger. I fell to floor, breathing heavily until the pain stopped.

My relief came five minutes later. I sagged against the bed.

"Can I see it?" Leah crouched next to me, staring at the place I was holding my neck. I frowned removing my hand, hearing gasps. "Oh."

"What?" I asked frantically. "What's on my neck?" Not waiting for her to answer I shot to the bathroom. On my neck was a medium sized black dragon. Above its back in a row were four little symbols. A flame, tear drop, diamond, and what looked like a bird. "What is this!?" I yelled at the mirror.

"Hailey?" My eyes snapped to the figure behind me. I whirled around facing Adrian. Or what appeared to be him. The figure was so transparent I could see the bathroom door through him.

"Am I dead?"

He raised an eyebrow, then shook his head. "It's part of our bond. We can speak through the bonds of our souls." That made absolutely no fucking sense. He glared at me, like he knew what I was thinking. "I'll explain more later. Why did-" He broke off, staring at my neck.

Leah rushed in at the moment. Starting at me with shock, ignoring Adrian. Could she not see him?

"Why is this on my neck!?" Neither one of them mentioned a tattoo during their 'fuck to save your life' speech.

She cleared her throat. "It's part of the mating bond, since you're human...I didn't expect you to get one. When you mate with a dragon it draws forth any dragon DNA that might be in you and shows what clan it's from. To determine how strong your offsprings will be." She still seemed awed.

"So why do you look like you seen a ghost?" Adrian stepped closer, studying me.

"Hailey, your tattoo shows every clan." I stilled.  "Meaning you have every type of dragon in you."

I shook my head,  "That's not possible, I'm human."

She grimaced, "I'm starting to suspect that's not true."