Project Insight

The Triskelion is S.H.E.I.L.D. headquarters now and it is located on Theodore Roosevelt Island in D.C.. We are currently in the tall building, reporting back on our mission. 

"You just can't help yourself from lying," Steve tells Fury as I make my way into Fury's office with him. 

"I didn't lie," Fury says from his seat at his desk. "Agent Barnes and Romanoff had a different mission than yours."

"Worked out well that you partnered us up," I wink at Steve. 

"You lied too," Steve looks at me and I roll my eyes. "If you keep on rolling your eyes at me they're gonna get stuck in the back of your head."

"Then Tony will build me two bionic eyes," I roll my eyes again just to spite him. 

"No, he won't," Fury says. 

"Those hostages could've died, Nick," Steve tells Fury. 

"I sent the two greatest soldiers in history to make sure that didn't happen," Fury leans forward on his desk. 

"Soldiers trust each other," Steve turns his head to look me in my blue and violet eyes. "That's what makes it an army."

"You don't trust me?" I scoff, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost my eye," Fury looks from me to Steve. "I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Barnes, here, is comfortable with everything."

"It's true," I nod, knowing I'm still digging a deeper grave with Steve. 

"I can't lead a mission," Steve locks eyes with me once more. "When people I'm leading have missions of their own."

"It's called compartmentalization, Steve," I give him a fake smile.

"You're wrong about me. Both of you are," Fury draws my attention. "I do share."

~~~~~

"Captain Rogers and Agent Barnes do not have clearance for Project Insight," The S.H.E.I.L.D. computer says as Steve and I follow Fury into a glass elevator. 

"Director override," Fury tells the computer. "Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed," The computer says as the elevator shuts. 

"You know," Steve says after a few seconds of the elevator moving down. Fury stands in between us as we all lean back on the silver railing. "They used to play music."

"Yeah," Fury gives me a look. "My grandfather operated one of these things for forty years."

"His grandad would walk around their neighborhood with a lunch bag," I tell Steve, having heard this story before. "It had a couple of ones and a loaded twenty-two magnum."

"Hmm," Steve looks at Fury as the elevator goes down further into a large basement. 

"I know," Fury says as Steve and I move to get a closer look. "They're a little bit bigger than a twenty-two."

"Woah," I let out as I stare in awe at the beautiful weaponry jets. "Why didn't you tell me about them?"

"Knowing you, you'd probably steal one for fun," Fury huffs at me. 

"You're not wrong," I say as I eagerly get out of the elevator to get a closer look. 

"This is Project Insight," Fury begins to explain as we walk through the aisles of jets. "Three next-generation helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from the Lemurian Star," I catch on quickly like always. 

"Once we get them in the air," Fury continues. "They never need to come down. Continuous dub-orbital flight, courtesy of our new repulsor engines."