Mind Games

"All our work is gone," Banner says in disbelief as we all are in the lab. "Ultron cleared out. He used the Internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron," Steve huffs as he shakes his head, clearly angry with Tony. 

"He's been in everything," Natasha looks at me from the computer. "Files, surveillance."

"Tony," I go up to the man just staring at the buggy Ultron used. "You made an artificial intelligence thingy that you can't even control?"

"What if he tries to access something a little more excited than our files?" Rhodey asks. 

"Nuclear codes," Hill states. 

"Nukes?" I scoff. "He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say "dead," Maeve," Steve looks at me. "He said "extinct."

"He also said he killed somebody," Clint reminds us all. 

"There wasn't anyone else in the building," Hill says. 

"Yes, there was," Tony says and I know exactly who he is talking about. 

"Jarvis was the first line of defense," I say as Tony clicks a button that shows the broken down orange computer fragments. 

"Ultron could've assimilated Jarvis," Bruce says as he observes the now dead Jarvis. "This is rage."

"Woah," I say as Thor grabs Tony by the neck and easily lifts him up in the air. 

"Use your words, buddy," Tony chokes out. 

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor spats. 

"Thor!" Steve catches the man's attention so he drops Tony down on the floor. "The Legionnaire."

"Trail went cold about a hundred miles out, but it's headed north," Thor says. "And it has the scepter."

"Then, it looks like we're not saying "bye" to you anytime soon," I tell him, secretly glad he is staying because he has become the closest thing to a best friend I have had. Besides, Natasha of course.  

"Why is the program you built trying to kill us?" Natasha asks Tony and he just laughs. 

"You think this is funny?" Thor gets more angry. 

"No," He continues to laugh. "It's so terrible."

"This could have been avoided if you hadn't played with things you don't understand," Thor walks dangerously close to Tony. 

"It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this," Tony says. 

"Tony," I shake my head. 

"What?" Tony looks from me to Bruce. "Were we even close to an interface?"

"Well, you did something right," Steve says. "And you did it right here."

"I'm sorry, Cap," Tony is still laughing. "But I can't take you seriously with lipstick all over your face."

"Here," I awkwardly find a napkin and hand it to Steve. 

"Thanks," He turns around from everyone to wipe his mouth and around it. 

"Uh-huh," I go to stand beside Natasha as I grab another napkin to wipe my own mouth. 

"You missed a spot," She takes the napkin and wipes the left side of my bottom lip. 

"The Avengers were supposed to be different than S.H.E.I.L.D.," Steve reminds Tony as I shoot a quick nod of thanks to Natasha. 

"Anybody remember when I gave Maeve one of my iron suits to carry a nuke through a wormhole?" He points at me.