Reunion

I sit in my room in the Avenger's Facility holding my silver locket in my hand. I wear my usual leggings with a black leather jacket over a green long-sleeve shirt. I got highlights in my now shorter hair that barely touches my shoulders. It has been almost two years since I broke up with Steve.

*Flashback to two years ago*

I slowly open my eyes to stare up at a blank, white wall. I blink a few times before turning my head to the right where I meet the eyes of Tony Stark. It sends me deja vu of waking up to find Steve by my side. 

"You know how much I love jumping off of things," I chuckle a bit as I look at Tony. 

"You didn't jump, Maeve," Tony says. "You fell."

"How long was I out?" I ask him, staring back up at the ceiling. 

"Six days," He answers. "You were declared dead for nine minutes on the table. They were surprised that you resuscitated with the number of injuries you came in with."

"You took me in, didn't you?" I ask. 

"Yes," He says. 

"Steve's gone, isn't he?" I ask, knowing the answer. 

"Yes."

*Present*

I stare at Steve's picture with his Captain America suit. I sigh deeply before shutting the locket and placing it in my pocket. I stand up and leave my room. 

"Earth just lost her best defender," I hear Steve's voice before I enter the room to meet with Rhodey. "So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way..." I quietly enter the room to see also Natasha, Wanda, Sam, and Vision in the room behind Steve as he talks to the hologram of Secretary Ross. "We'll fight you too."

"Steve," I say after Rhodey gets rid of the hologram. The others stand out of the way so I can see Steve's new uniform and his new beard when he turns to face me. "I like the beard."

"I like your hair, Mae," Natasha compliments me as Steve just stares at me. 

"I like yours too, Nat," I tell her as I look over her short, straight, blonde hair. 

"Um..." Sam awkwardly begins. "Maybe we should give them some space."

"I agree," Bruce appears in the room and I watch Natasha's face as she sees him for the first time after all these years. 

"Hi, Bruce," Natasha says. 

"Nat," Bruce says. 

"Great, two reunions," Sam says and Wanda elbows him because of his insensitivity. 

I look at Steve who is still staring at me. 

"We should all leave the Captains now," Vision tells them all. 

"Shall we?" Wanda takes Vision's hand as she helps guide her wounded boyfriend out of the room with Sam. Natasha and Bruce go out another door. 

"So..." I go to sit at the table as Steve still stares at me. "How've you been?"

"You were close to death Maeve!" Steve raises his voice. "You were dying and you decided to break up with me. After I told you that I was in love with you!"

"I did it for you!" I raise my voice for him to retain it. 

"You were going to leave me like that for me?" He scoffs, putting his hands on his hips. I try not to think about how hot he looks like that with that beard of his. 

"It would've made it a lot easier for you to walk away from me if we weren't together," I tell him. "It would've destroyed you otherwise."

"Is that really the reason why?" He challenges me as he walks toward me. My breath hitches as his body comes up close to mine. "Or was it because I defeated Tony and never told you I knew the truth about his parents?"

"Steve-"

"You told me that you only lied to me twice," Steve reminds me. "But you did tell me you wouldn't lie to me. So don't now."

"Both, Steve," I sigh. "I broke up with you because of both."

"That's all I wanted to hear," He says before storming out. 

~~~~~

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?" Rhodey asks as we all stand in another room discussing the creatures that had attacked Wanda and Vision for the mind stone. 

"And they can clearly find us," Wanda says. 

"We need all hands on deck," I tell them, noticing how Steve purposely doesn't look at me. 

"Where's Clint?" Bruce asks Natasha. 

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal," Natasha begins. "It was too tough for their families."

"Who's Scott?" Bruce asks confused. 

"Ant-Man," I answer. 

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?" Bruce asks intrigued. 

"I know," I say. "You missed a lot."

"Clearly," He says as he looks between Steve and me. "Okay, Thanos has the biggest army in the universe and he is not gonna stop until he gets..." He thinks harder, and I know he is trying to figure out what Thanos's main mission is. "He gets Vision's stone."

"Then we have to protect it," Natasha says. 

"No, we have to destroy it." Vision corrects, looking at Wanda. 

"You want me to kill you?" Wanda asks and I can see how hard it hurts her to even think about killing the man she has grown to love. I envy it as I think about Steve and my relationship. 

"You are the only one who can without it getting in the wrong hands," Vision tells her and she walks away from him. 

I look at Steve as he quickly glances at me before looking down. 

"Thanos threatens half the universe," Vision explains. "One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should," Steve tells him and I smile at the thought that he is as righteous as he has always been. "We don't trade lives, Vision."

"Captain, seventy years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people?" Vision asks him before looking at me. "You were the only one who could bring back this man to continue fighting for this world."

"This is different, Vision," I tell him, forcing myself to stop looking at Steve. "You might have a choice here."

"She's right," Bruce agrees, looking at Vision. "Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays."

"You're not just the stone," I tell Vision. "There's more to you."

"Can we leave those parts and take out the stone?" Natasha asks Bruce. 

"Not me," Bruce informs her. 

"Well, you better find someone or somewhere fast," Rhodey tells him. 

"I know somewhere," I look at Steve as he speaks. He is talking about the place where my brother and his best friend now lives.