Sokovia Accords

"Five years ago I had a heart attack," The Secretary of State begins as I sit at a table with Steve, Tony, Natasha, Wanda, Sam, Rhodey, and Vision at the Avengers Facility as we listen to the man. "Turned out to be the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective," I roll my eyes when he doesn't pay attention. Steve shakes his head, but Tony lets out a little chuckle. "The world owes The Avengers an unplayable debt. But as many see you as "heroes," there are some who would prefer the word "vigilantes.""

"What word would use, Mr. Secretary?" I ask the older man. 

"How about "dangerous"?" He says. "What would you call a group of US-bases, Enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders-"

"I would stop right there," I interrupt him. 

"Maeve," Steve says. 

"No," I look back at the Secretary. "We may have had a few casualties, but think about the millions of lives we save."

"New York," The Secretary begins a video of The Battle of New York before changing it to another. "Washington D.C.," I look down at my feet. "Sokovia...Lagos." 

"Okay," Steve says. "That's enough."

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision," The Secretary says. "That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate."

"Okay, and?" I ask. 

"We have come up with a solution," The man hands a thick book of documents to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords which is approved by 117 countries. It states that The Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place," Steve reminds him. "I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain," The Secretary says and I look at him to realize he is just talking to Steve. "Where Thor and Banner are right now?"

"So," Rhodey says. "There are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords," The Secretary informs us. 

"What happens if we come to a decision you don't like?" I ask him. 

"Then you retire," He says before leaving us to make a decision. 

~~~~~

"You look like you're enjoying yourself," I tell Tony as he lays on a couch in the living area, clearly annoyed with Sam and Rhodey's bickering. 

"Yeah," He nods as I take a seat next to him. 

"I have an equation," Vision grabs all of our attention. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world-events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are saying it's our fault?" Steve asks from his seat in a chair as he flips through the Sokovia Accords. 

"I'm saying there may be a causality," Vision says. 

"You think oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand, right?" He nods at my guess. 

"Tony," Natasha looks at the man who still has his hand over his face. "You're being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal."

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Steve says. 

"I'm actually nursing an electromagnetic headache," He corrects as he stands up to go to the kitchen. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. I'll make you a cup of coffee, kid," He tells me before I can ask. He then pulls up a picture of a child to show us. "That's Charles Spencer. He spent a summer building houses for the poor. Guess where?"