| 23 |

Camila

12 years ago

"Happy birthday, tigre." Papa kissed my forehead and looked me in the eyes with awe. "You're already 7!"

Papa always has been hard-headed and firm but whenever it was my birthday, he went all soft; I always thought there was no particular reason as to why but on my 5th birthday I snuck into Papa's room and saw that a picture frame, that wasn't usually there, facing the wall, as though it was purposefully placed on the bedside table to be ignored and not reflected on.

This abrupt impulse came over me and implored me earnestly to turn it around; I wasn't supposed to touch items in his room unless given permission, but I couldn't help it.

Curiosity killed the cat.

I crept vigilantly, careful not to cause any creaks in the floorboards. I clutched the picture frame in my small hands and rotated it slowly, involuntarily peeving myself with the suspense.

A family photo; no. A commemoration. A wedding. Two people. A woman and a man, one that looked almost identical to Papa- Papa. This was my mum. I was looking at my mum. I'd always wallow in consumed thought about what Mama would look like. How would my first official meeting be like with her? She looked so ecstatic, in her prime in the picture. I had taken her brown hair, her hazel eyes, and her lips.

I stared at her in esteem when a magpie hit the window with a large bang. I flinched, it pulling me back to reality. I wondered why I had never seen the ligneous picture frame before and why was it only brought out today?

Keen on asking Papa the next day, I countered with the exposure of me entering and putting my nose into something I should've never intended to, whether it was Mama or not.

I had kept the secret for 2 years now and the only rationale I had was that I would ask him when I was older, in spite of not knowing what 'older' meant.

My birthday went like any other: a small cupcake with a candle, Papa with a funny looking party hat that didn't suit him whatsoever and bounteous amounts of affection. I slept soundly, the silence of the night soothing me and the gloss of the stars stroking my bare face, warmly.

.

"Papa, are we going to train today?"

"Yes, we must work now so I can see my precioso tigre become a dignified, diligent woman before I pass, ah?" I saw his eyes glisten for a moment, he took a breath, "Which means no slacking." He slapped the back of my head lightly whilst I nodded, half-understanding. We walked out to our decently spaced backyard and began with some quick warm-ups.

***

Papa told me to read up on the history of martial arts whilst I waited for him to come back from a meeting. It was rather peculiar because he held a forlorn expression when he explained where he was leaving for.

It had been a couple hours now and I was still deeply engrossed into the book.

"Ah-ris-to-krat?" I quickly turned to the dictionary to my right to find out what that unusual word meant—

Bang.

Bang.

What was that?

I walked up to where I thought the sound was coming from and looked outside the nearest window; a group of 5. I knew these people: they went to my school. I peered closer, recognising one of them as my best friend, Caroline Devana.

She had blonde hair that stopped mid-chest, unearthly blue eyes and was currently holding an egg, ready to throw it.

Sprinting to the front door, I jerked open the door about to yell but instead was met with an egg splatter directly onto my face. The yolk slowly dripped down my face and onto my clothing, the slimy feeling irked my senses making me shudder out of disgust but also anger. "Score!" They shouted, giving high-fives to each other.

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!" I didn't anticipate my tone to be of a yell, but I was seething.

"Haven't you heard? Your father has been declared an ignominy." Caroline said and giggled with the others as though it was something to have the hysterics about. Ignominy was a large word but everyone in the pack knew what it meant: a disgrace, a public shame to the rest.

"He's being executed today, openly." What? Was that why he looked so remorseful? Guilt-ridden? "They're probably done by now." They carried on sniggering.

I wanted to drop onto my knees and bawl out into tears but what good what that do me? In alternative, I dashed at my fastest pace to where all public executions were made, Lordony Square, the centre of our land.

No longer bearing in mind the greasy sensation that drooped over my face, my thoughts were occupied with the life of my father who I may no longer see.

I panted as I reached the crowd, struggling to get past the countless strangers. Small mutters left my mouth like, 'Please be okay', 'You're strong Papa', 'Please be alive'.

I finally was able to get past through all of them, but it was in vain because I had seen Papa tied up by the ropes, beaten, bruised and a dagger that pierced his heart. Blood dripped from his mouth and from the lethal wound copiously.

"NO!" I ran towards him aiming to feel one last warm touch, but I was grabbed roughly by guards. "NO! LET ME GO! LET ME SEE HIM!" Tears ran down my cheeks non-stop as I continued bargaining with the guards to allow me to see him.

"LET ME GO! I'M HIS DAUGHTER! HE'S MY PAPA! MY PAPA!" My voice broke. I swung my arms and legs like I was throwing a tantrum, but it was to no avail.

They were adamant on not letting me see him. And I definitely wasn't having that; I slipped through the guards arms like Papa taught me, ignoring all the whispers coming from the unsolicited audience. Bending down to his level, my clothes slowly soaking his blood.

I touched his face with my shaky hand, "P-Papa... You're still there, right? You have to see me become a d-diligent, dignified woman, right? You've gotta stay with me to do that, ok? Y-you can't leave me. W-we'll run away, mhm?"

I was grabbed forcefully once again but this time with a stronger grip. "NO! LET ME GO!" I kicked their legs so many times, so many times but it didn't change the fact Papa was gone.

­­­___________________

[edited - I hope so]

Some insight on Camila's father! 

All of you guys wanted an update and as soon as I saw the comments I began writing bit by bit; I've been a bit busy with this new hobby: art, ahem, I know. Nothing serious just anime stuff, it'll probably die down in the next month eye-

This chapter was pretty sad but I was having chocolate gateau and in my feels so why not?

Remember if you want a discord invite, comment: #discordinvite

Comment, Vote and Share!

-Love, Ashley x