Five Weeks Earlier

Adrien woke up the morning of his sixteenth birthday with a heavy weight in his stomach. Today was the day he may find his soulmate. His life could change forever and he wasn't sure if he was ready for it. He always thought his soulmate was his lady, he believed every theory about the yin and yang, every internet web post about how they were two halves of one soul, just as Tikki and Plagg were. The confusion circulating in his head was worrying him. There were too many options and to many decisions which could be taken out of his hands the moment he placed his eyes upon the mirror.

Tikki and Plagg were their magical kwami's, part of the Miraculous entities. Plagg was his black cat kwami, and his Lady, Ladybug, was the owner of Tikki, she was also the guardian to all of Paris' Miraculous. Tikki and Plagg were the reason they could transform into superheroes. They were the most powerful of all the Miraculous' and also they were two parts of one whole. He searched long and hard for any information regarding the Miraculous over the years, and any information which would ease his mind about his upcoming soulmate reveal. Majority came from his best friends girlfriend, Alya, who ran the Ladyblog, the only line haven to all Miraculous fans.

But today he didn't think even his Miraculous could help him. Almost all humans, on their sixteenth birthday, received a sign directing them to their soulmate. This came as two things. The first thing was an understanding of your partners pain. This wasn't if your partner was bruised, or if they'd fell over, it was more of a life changing injury. It was said this was to help your soulmate if they were in dire need.

The second indication to your soulmate was the main one. A soul mark placed upon each others bodies. Each soul mark was unique, it was something only themselves and their partner would understand. It would be a representation of a moment in time they became one, a moment they would become inseparable, where the unbroken bond would be formed. Both halves would receive the same mark in the same place on their bodies.

However, if your soul mate was still underage nothing would appear. The youngest of the pairing would be the catalyst to the mark finally arriving prominent on your body once they, themselves, turn sixteen. His friends were all starting to be paired off, some with their present boyfriend or girlfriend, others finding happiness with someone else.

Relationships had been broken, people had lost who they thought would be theirs forever only to be sent spiralling into the waiting abyss caught up in thinking about when they would, finally, find their soulmate. Others just ignored the mark completely and carried on as normal until their time was up. Ivan and Mylene were currently caught in this spiral and with college coming to a close soon, they knew that would be their final goodbye. Soulmates could never be separated once they had met. Fate would always find a way of pushing them together.

Adrien now stood wearing just his boxers, staring into the mirror. Kagami was a year older and she was still waiting for her soul mark to appear, as far as Adrien was made to believe, she hadn't received it yet. She constantly reassured him that they were made for each other and that his hesitations would stop once their marks confirmed it, but as he stood here now he couldn't see a thing. His body was perfect, completely unmarked. Again, one person who he knew loved him would be ripped out of his life. Kagami would no longer be there to cover him with devotion.

"Plagg, wake up." Plagg pried open his tired cat eyes and flew over towards Adrien, leaving the comfort of his pillow and dreams of cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.

"What's up, kid?" He yawned before stopping next to his holder and suddenly remembering something important. "Happy sweet 16th, by the way Adrien."

Plagg didn't even worry about the soul mark as he knew it wouldn't be there. One thing for sure was the Miraculous never chose wrong, however for Adrien's sake Plagg began to fly circles around him. Adrien laughed, Plagg could make him laugh even on his worst days, he appreciated the little kwami more than he'd ever know, and there is no way he would tell him. Plagg's head was already big enough.