That Fatal Day

Marinette saw Luka waiting for her by the drop off at the mall's entrance. Practically throwing it off its hinges, she swung the car door open and barrelled into him. Wrapping her arms around his shoulders, and burying her face in his neck.

"Happy sweet sixteenth, Mari." She giggled in response, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Are you excited?" She whispered.

Tomorrow was the day. The day when Luka finally got to be with his soulmate, and even though hers was a complete mess, she was so happy for Luka and Zoe.

"I am, but today it is all about you, so quit hugging me and go and speak to the rest of your friends. Alya's been pretty excited to see you."

As Marinette made her way over to Alya, Luka's focus shifted to the sedan. Adrien was moving slowly and he looked miles away. Luka couldn't understand what had happened. If either of these two were going to have a freak out, his money would always be on Marinette. Adrien was usually cool, calm and collected, the blonde in front of him was none of these. What had happened at the shoot?

Luka was right, Adrien was freaking out. He wasn't cool, in fact his insides were burning. He wasn't calm, he was one shake away from a fizzy explosion and collected? Ha! He was scattered around like shattered glass. Everything he thought, everything he knew was a lie.

Once Marinette had left to her dressing room, Adrien powered back to his own, releasing Plagg and having a mental breakdown. It took the poor kwami fifteen minutes to even out Adrien's breath before trying to get the young lad to speak to him.

"She's - it's not? But how? I mean - I know how, but why?"

Plagg looked at his young wielder and had to hold back the smile. If Adrien was acting this way then Marinette was going to be a blast when she found out.

"Just breath, kid. Everything's ok."

Adrien nodded.

"It's all ok. Yes, it's fine. Marinette is only the sweetest girl I've ever met. She's talented, creative, funny and she's just a friend. No, wait, she can't be just a friend, she's my soulmate. But she loves someone. I love someone too, and it's not Marinette, or is it Marinette? I told her everything. She knows! She is - wow - this is a lot."

Plagg flew in front of Adrien as the sixteen year old slowly slid down the wall to sit on the floor, hands pulling at his once perfect hair. Adrien wasn't someone to ramble on, he was broken. Completely and utterly broken.

"Adrien, I need you to focus. You're sounding like a crazy kid. Let's break this down. What do you know?" Plagg asked.

"I know Marinette is my soulmate."

"Ok, and how does that make you feel?"

Adrien looked into Plagg's eyes, suddenly feeling unable to lie.

"Honestly? Warm and fuzzy, and downright heartbroken! She loves someone else Plagg. Wait? She told me, when I was Chat, that she loved her soulmate. Does she know that's me?"

Plagg didn't know what to do, this was verging on identity reveals and it was still unknown what the Guardian thought. He couldn't go against Tikki and Marinette, so he needed to distract Adrien from the truth, for the moment anyway.

"Isn't she with that guitar kid? Perhaps she thought it was linked to him."

"Luka! I'd forgotten about him." Adrien sighed and dropped his head. This was not how it was meant to be. He wasn't meant to hurt three friends in the process. Kagami always questioned his relationship with Marinette, and now she'd have to know they're soulmates. Rubbing his hands down his face, he pushed the heel of his palms into his eyes.