━ six, the nomads fearing freak

FREAK
act one, chapter six
.   .   .   .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1991
.   .   .   .

𝗧here are a few things Viola tried to hide as October bled into November. One, James was starting to act weird, more distant but Viola guessed that it was normal, after all, James has seen so much horror in his life. Second, her crush on Severus Snape just won't disappear and she keeps on having these dreams and Merlin! It's bloody torturing her to know that he'll never see her in that way. Third, she actually believes in Divination know, well only one part of it. Since the Troll attack last week, Viola began reading more on the Nomads of the Elements. She spent her Divination time reading on them, not bothering to help Trelawney or tell Oliver to relax whenever Trelawney would get too close. She also spent her Potions time reading, as she was completely rubbish at the subject any way. The book she was currently reading was called Way Of The Nomads and each page intrigued her more.

The Nomads of the Air were fast travellers, never staying in one place for more than a week. Whereas the Water and Fire Nomads dealt with cards and glass respectively, they dealt with weapons. Light, stainless steel weapons. The weapons were most of the time swords, knives and daggers, and most of them had to be thrown. They invoked their Element into their weapons, giving life to the lifeless steel, hoping it would do justice one day.

The Nomads of the Water were witches and wizards, yet they could only stay in one settlement for a year at longest. They painted cards as well, cards that Viola hadn't cracked the meaning of but she's most eager to. They mainly use blue as their color, along with gray and sometimes red, to show hostility or danger. They had different cards, cards that show the past and cards that predict the future. Nomads of the Water weren't always precise on their predictions but Viola praised them highly, as their cards predicted that Quirrell will be chased by a Troll.

The Nomads of the Fire were just like Severus said. They traveled alone but not as fast as the Air or Water Nomads. They wore orange and brown robes, hiding their faces so you'll never know whether it's a man or woman until the Nomad speaks. Like Severus said, they can melt sand into glass, working with precise fingers and create marvelous art works. Many Nomads of the Fire have nothing, yet they are extremely happy. Luggage to them, was just like torture.

The Earth Nomads prefered a simpler life, let travelers seek them out rather than having to go out there and face the world. From what Viola read and understood, they lived where the Earth danced. She didn't understand what that meant so she had asked Trelawney, something she regretted afterwards when she went into a long explanation. They weren't Nomads as such, as they lived in one place for over three years. If she could be a Nomad, Viola would choose either the path of the Cleansing Water or the Everlasting Spirit.

The Nomads of the Spirit were currently the most threatened group of all Nomads. The Nomads don't command the spirits or own them, they just let them guide them. Sometimes it's to a dead end but they somehow believed that the spirit was never wrong.

That's how Viola Winchester found herself on 13 November, blowing hot air unto her hands as she rubbed them together and she grinned up at Severus, who had to retrieve a few things from his office and she suddenly wondered if he'd ever like her like that, if he'd ever seen her in that manner. She wanted to ask him, Merlin she needed to know, but she didn't, knowing that it would be like invading his privacy.