━ thirteen, alarm

FREAK
act two, chapter thirteen
.   .   .   .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1992
.   .   .   .

𝗟oving Severus Snape was like an alarm. Everything was smooth sailing until you tell him that you love him and it blares in your ears. Viola finally understood that after the first Potions lesson, where Severus didn't even talk with her and Viola only pretended that it didn't hurt. The only highlight of her day came at ten in the night, making her way up to the Astronomy Tower, where she warmly greeted the class and Noah, who flashed her those dimples again and Viola rolled her eyes, though a smile grew on her face. Noah was a bit cocky, but Viola guessed if you're that gorgeous, you have every right to be cocky.

"I just want to recap what Professor Sinistra taught you real quick, then we can get into the work for the night." Noah began, shuffling papers behind his desk and Viola plopped in a chair beside him. "She wrote here that you learned about the planets, and the Milky Way, along with stars and nebulas. Correct?" The class chorused their answer while Viola hummed a yes. "Okay, tonight, we'll be getting into the death of stars."

Viola gripped the table hard, her knuckles turning white. Sirius was named after a star, he and Regulus and Regulus was dead, while Sirius rotted in Azkaban. He wasn't dead but to Viola he was, he sold out the Potters, killing Lily and he killed Peter. Viola didn't understand what went wrong with Sirius, he was always so kind and loving. So what turned him evil? What made him sell his own friends out? What made him murder Peter in such cold blood? There was a day where Viola and Sirius would just lounge, stuffing their faces with food, telling each other stuff. That's how she learned that Regulus had joined Voldemort and that Sirius hated seeing him suffer like this. Maybe that's why he went evil. Maybe he wanted to avenge Regulus' death.

When the class ended, Viola stayed behind to help Noah clean up the class. She was bending down to pick up a fallen quill when Noah spoke.

"I couldn't help but notice the tension between you and Gilderoy." He hummed and Viola groaned.

"We ━ um ━ had a thing after school and we almost married." She revealed, wincing at his facial expression. "I know, I guess I did it because I wanted to get over the one I told you about."

"So he's the git." Noah chuckled a little and Viola rolled her eyes, not wanting to see the dimples.

"What about you? Why aren't you married?" Viola asked, sitting next to him and Noah smiled at her. This wasn't a full smile because Viola didn't see those beautiful dimples of his.

"My parents did arrange a marriage for me but I didn't want the girl to be stuck in a marriage she didn't want to be in, so I ran." Noah shrugged. "I tried searching for the one but no one ever intrigued me. Until I met the beautiful lady who was reading a book while all the others were freaking out about Gilderoy."

Viola laughed. "I guess there's nothing to freak out about when ━"

"There you are!" James appeared, slipping the Invisibility Cloak off and Viola sighed. "I thought you said you'd read me a story tonight."

"Prongs, you're a grown man, you don't need bedtime stories." Viola pointed out and James pouted. "Noah, this is the annoying ━"