━ seven, the freak who knew too much

FREAK
act one, chapter seven
.   .   .   .

VIOLA WINCHESTER
1991
.   .   .   .

𝗩iola woke up feeling stiff and her back, which was mauled by Fluffy a week back, ached with every step she took. She woke up in the Slytherin common room, which she was slightly glad about, since she didn't have to face James Potter and his arrogance. The truth is, James changed when Lily was with him, he became a better person towards everyone around him. He became kind, caring and loving and Viola loved that side of him. He still was kind towards his circle of friends but he and Viola did sometimes have their spats. James hated Severus Snape and Viola loved him, there wasn't any more words needed to show how much they fought. But they always made up at the end of the day, but this time round, Viola didn't know if she could forgive James and if he would forgive her. She does admit that she did say some words she didn't mean at all but she was angry.

Once she cleaned herself up, she went to breakfast, filling another plate for James and she happily spoke with Sprout and McGonagall. Her back still ached when she gave James his food a few minutes later, not bothering to apologize, as it seemed as though James wasn't too keen on apologizing as well. She made sure James was well fed and made her way to Transfiguration, where she helped Cedric with his spell and promised to help him later on with his essay and McGonagall glared at her. Viola flashed her her famous grin and the Professor scoffed.

"Still got it baby." Viola said to Cedric, who turned a red but fist bumped his weird Professor, who seemed way too pleased with herself. Viola then shuffled around in her pockets, searching for the deck of cards she nicked from Trelawney. ❨ It's not she uses them anyway, she's too obsessed with her tea, smoke, cookies and dream journals. The sixth years were busy with dream journals this year and unfortunately Viola has to share her dreams as well. Mainly of her dreams are about Severus and all the things she'd let him do to her and she was sure that those would traumatize the kids. ❩ "Hey Minnie, mind picking one?"

McGonagall's lips disappeared in a line at the nickname. "I don't have time for this Miss Winchester, I am busy teaching a class."

"Oh come on Mins, I'll even let three students participate, huh?"

"Fine." McGonagall gave in a Viola smiled, immediately pulling Cedric and the twins forward and she let McGonagall pick the first card, which had a wand drawn in red with five hearts, blood red as well. Viola scribbled that down quickly, moving to Cedric.

He pulled out one with a cup drawn in blue and gray, with a crown drawn in red. She scribbled that one down as well, even though she had an idea of what his card may mean. These cards weren't like Tarot Cards, there isn't a book to explain what the cards mean so most of the time, Viola scribbled down the card and would study it later on.

Fred pulled out a tombstone, with one heart on it. The tombstone was drawn in gray and the words on it dripped with red. She knew exactly what this one meant but she wrote down his card with shaky hands. George had pulled out a wolf, which should've been gray but was red and Viola didn't know if it meant danger or hostility.

"Okay, Minnie, your card may mean you're going to either purchase five wands, get hit by a spell five times or you're going to hit five people with a spell." Viola scribbled out her card. She had noticed that once she does that, the cards change. The Troll one has changed as well and in its place was a werewolf instead, the same one George pulled out. "Ced, you're definitely going to win some cup of sorts, but with the crown, it may mean someone will be out to get you. As you know, kings and queens were assassinated a lot in olden days." She scratched it out, watching as the cup formed into a sword and she stuffed it into her pocket, with McGonagall's which had changed into a blue car.

"Now, Fred, I don't want to spook you. These aren't going to really happen, anything you do now may change your card. You're going to die, and someone you love will either be the one doing it or will watch you die." Viola scratched it out, the tombstone changing into the Black Lake. "George, you will get to know a werewolf in person, but it will either warn you of danger or be hostile to you." His card turned into a silvery doe.

McGonagall shook her head. "I can't believe we just did that."

"All in good heart Mins." And she finished it with a wink and a grin.

.   .   .   .

"𝗢h, Professor Quirrell, fancy seeing you here. Severus just left, if you're looking for him. I'm just cleaning up the class so Cedric, Cho and I can try to improve their marks." Viola sweetly smiled at Quirrell, who only sneered at her and fear gripped her heart. Madam Pomfrey had told her that fear, anger and uncontrollable sadness or hatred is what seemed to fuel her ability and advised her to stay out of things she knew will scare her and that would anger her. She then told her to make more friends ❨ that's where Oliver, Cedric, the Weasley twins and Cho fell in. She wasn't using either of them, she really enjoyed their company ❩ and try to be nice to everyone.

"I'm looking for you." He snarled and Viola didn't know whether she should be taken back by how demonic he sounded or how he didn't stutter at all.

"Well, you found me." She smiled again at him.

"Stay out our way Viola, we'll get what we want." He harshly whispered and Viola tried to calm herself down. He's not attacking you Vi! He's just threatening you! There's a difference! "You know better than to stop us, you know way too much. Tred carefully Viola."

Viola was glad Cedric and Cho decided to come in that very moment and she basically ran to them, just not wanting to be near Quirrell. What did she even know? The Professor left, smiling at the children and Cedric excitedly told Viola to make Cho pull out a card as well.

Cho had pulled out an unexpected card, as Viola had never seen it in her deck, even though a few cards had changed. ❨ But she saw those. ❩ Cho pulled out a Veela, with four hearts and a crown and seriously, Viola only got into the cards now and she didn't know what half of them meant. This one was no different. Does this mean Cho will get to meet a Veela, or get to murder one? It made no sense.

"I believe you'll meet the rare Veela's and judging by the hearts, there'll be four or she'll stay either four days or four months. The crown means someone will hurt her or kill her."

Cho gaped at Viola. "See?! I told you this was interesting!"

"I guess. I don't like the death part though."

Viola snorted at her. "Don't we all kid. Now come on, tell me the properties of a proper brewed Amortentia potion."

"Professor Winchester, we're not there yet. I'm still in my second year and Cedric's only in his third." Cho softly told the Professor, who shrugged, leaning back in her chair which was a bad idea, since her back still ached. "Professor? Are you alright? Do we need to call for Madam Pomfrey?"

Viola painfully waved her off. "No, kid, I'm good." She groaned, pushing her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket and she saw Cho nod, uncertainty in her eyes. "Seriously kid. I'm fine."

"Professor? You said you'd help me with my Transfiguration." Cedric reminded her with a grin, and Cho followed soon, saying that she was hopeless at Herbology and that Sprout will fail her in the test they were to take.

"You're in luck kid, you just so happened to ask a Transfiguration and Herbology Goddess." Viola proudly beamed that two laughed at her stupidity. It felt good not having to worry about people calling her hurtful words. But even Viola knew that this type of happiness wasn't going to last at all.

.   .   .   .

authors note.                  Oh Merlin, how much I want to strangle Quirrell