33 || ontari

LEXA KOM TRIKRU WAS DEAD.

I watched Clarke recite the traveler's blessing. I watched the Commander I had known for so little time, yet learned so much from, die. I buried my face in Murphy's jacket as Titus performed the ritual of removing the Flame from her neck, which I had learned about whilst training with the novitiates.

My arm was killing me since Titus shot me, but the pain was nothing compared to watching my mentor die.

"Tahlia, you must prepare for the conclave," Titus ordered as he carried Lexa out of the room.

"What the hell is a conclave?" Murphy asked.

"It's where I fight against a bunch of other black bloods to the death. Whoever is the last gets to be the Commander," I answered bluntly.

"Well in that case, there is no way in hell we are letting you do that," Murphy said like a smart alec. 

"I have to."

The conclave was to be held the next day. We started the purification ritual almost immediately. We would pour various substances with names I don't know over Lexa's body. 

"May the spirit of the commanders choose me," Aden said as it was his turn. The rest of us novitiates were kneeled in front of the table where Lexa's body lied. Clarke came in with Titus and Murphy, requesting to see Aden.

"We all will. Lexa made each of us vow it," I heard Aden say to Clarke. This was true. Clarke looked to us. We all stood up and bowed our heads. I met eyes with Murphy, who looked at me like I was a crazy person.

"Out of our way," A man's deep voice demanded. Roan walked in with a girl named Ontari... the Azgeda Natblida. She tackled Clarke to the ground with the intents to kill her, but Titus was quick to stop her.

"Put the knife down, Ontari," Roan ordered calmly.

"Your mother is dead because of her," Ontari argued. Clarke wasn't the one that killed Queen Nia. She had nothing to do with it. I couldn't wait to beat this girl in the conclave.

"You will obey your king."

Ontari sighed and loosened her grip on her knife, allowing Titus to take it out of her grasp. "An unfortunate fact we have her to thank for as well," Ontari spat, standing up. "No matter. When I am Heda and the king bows to me, you and every last member of Skaikru will die."

We had all gone to bed early to ensure we were well rested for the conclave. I was awoken by commotion coming from the throne room. I got out of bed and got changed quickly. I rushed upstairs to the throne room and a large crowd had formed. Roan was also in the crowd and since I couldn't see what was going on over everyone's heads, I tugged on his sleeve.

His eyes widened when he saw me. "How are you... But she..." He stammered. 

"What's going on?" I asked. 

"You need to get out of here before she kills you, too," He whispered harshly. Who was he talking about.

I maneuvered my way through the crowd but not all the way to the front, just in case. At the front of the crowd, Ontari was seated on the Commander's throne, covered in black blood that definitely wasn't hers, holding Aden's decapitated head proudly. The sight made me sick to my stomach. Literally. I felt a bile rise in my throat, but I swallowed it back down.

Aden was my friend. He was kind and selfless and noble and certainly didn't deserve to be decapitated in his sleep. He would have made a great commander. Yu gonplei ste odon, Aden kom Trikru.