49 || bunker

AFTER A MERE 32 DAYS IN THE BUNKER, I WAS JUST ABOUT READY TO BEHEAD ANYONE AND ANYTHING THAT CAME WITHIN A THREE-METER VICINITY OF ME. I was itching to go outside. To smell the fresh Earth air and the flowers, to see the trees, touch the soil, to train on real grass or literally anything that wasn't an empty concrete room. Being Commander on the ground was hard enough, but being Commander in a bunker with way too many people who are trained murderers, cramped in extremely close quarters with not enough beds to go around was much harder. 

We had almost two-hundred more people inside the bunker than it was designed for, which means an extra two-hundred beds to scrounge up, an extra two hundred mouths to feed, and an extra two hundred people to keep sane for the next five years. 

I sat in the office above the rotunda, at my desk, resting my chin on my hand as I mindlessly carved random shapes into the metal with my hunting knife (that had no use anymore because there's no animals to hunt down here). It was the first time I'd been alone for any period of time since the death wave hit. And I knew it wasn't going to last long, so I savored the few minutes of peace I had, silently digesting my thoughts and processing the mayhem that had gone on the past month, and the mayhem that was to come for the next five years. 

Sometimes I wish I hadn't won that challenge against Roan and Luna. Of course, beating Luna needed to happen, because the human race as we know it would've been extinct, but Roan was born to lead. Literally, he was a king. Like an actual heir-to-the-throne born king. I think he would've handled this a lot better than I am right now, but I also know that if he had won, that would mean that only one clan would've survived, and that would've meant that everyone I love would be dead. 

That sounds selfish. 

But I don't really care. I wouldn't have cared if I had died in that challenge if it meant the people I care about would live. 

Things in the bunker had a rocky start, but they were starting to get better. The first week was the worst. Everyone was on edge. Some were sad, others were angry, some were just going straight-up crazy and feeling claustrophobic. I didn't blame any of them. I was feeling a mix of all three. 

On day five, I noticed people beginning to adjust to the new life we had to begin in here. We had new systems put in place, you see. To accommodate for the bed shortage, working rosters were placed out, so that when some people worked, others slept and vice versa. Like people working day and night shifts. Not that we really had 'days' and 'nights' down here since there was no sun. The same system went for meal times; some ate while others worked and slept. Different dorms had different eating times to accommodate for the lack of seats in the cafeteria, and to give the cooks sufficient time to make enough food for everyone. 

We tried to make the dorm assignments as fair as possible. We, meaning a council formed of one delegate from each clan, in addition to myself, Kane, Indra, and Octavia. We tried to keep families together, the ones that were left at least, and tried to make sure every child in the bunker had at least one other kid to share a bunk with. That idea was a little touch of my own since I remember what it was like having no other kids my age in the Sky Box. Keeping clans separated wasn't at all a priority for me, as I was actively trying to get rid of the individual clans thing. Wonkru, remember?

We did, however, try to keep people with the same jobs together, that way they would eat at the same time, work at the same time and sleep at the same time. But I'm thinking that we might mix up the dorm assignments in about six months or so, because I feel like sticking the same 16 people together in the same room for five years is not gonna go too well. They'll get sick of each other eventually.