4 || butterflies

MY HAIR HAD BEEN STYLED INTO TWO BRAIDS THAT CASCADED DOWN TO MY SHOULDER BLADES. My hair's super long since I couldn't trim it in lockup on the Ark.

"All done," Harper chirped as she tied up the last braid. She had always been really good at braiding hair, and she was starting to teach me, which I was grateful for.

"Thanks, Harp," I turned around to face her and hug her. I couldn't imagine my life without Harper, she's like the sister I never had.

"Alright, Miller's gonna kick my ass if I don't help with this wall so I'll see you later, kid," Harper said as she stood up and went to go help build the wall.

I spotted Atom, aka the guy who was supposed to be babysitting me, building the wall. He was completely distracted so I thought I would try to find something fun to do. I walked around camp and sitting on a rock, I saw the most beautiful creature.

Perched on a big rock, a glowing little insect with wings. I was almost sure it was called a butterfly, but I had never read about ones that glowed before. I was mesmerized by the pinks and blues that were illuminating the rock beneath it. I've never seen anything so pretty. I reached my hand out to it to see if it was friendly.

"Hello, pretty thing," I whispered, not wanting to scare it off. It fluttered it's wings and floated up a couple feet before slowly flying away. I followed it's beautiful luminescence until I reached a section of the forest. There were hundreds of the magnificent glowing creatures. Wow.

I could hear laughing in the distance, it sounded like Octavia. Maybe she found some butterflies too. I stretched my arms out, butterflies were landing all over me, tickling my arms. I giggled and spun in circles, laughing.

This may not have been the ground I imagined, but it's the ground I'm on. And I love it.

I frolicked around the butterfly field for a couple more minutes, maybe a bit longer, jumping around and trying to catch one in my hands.

"Hey, kid. You're not supposed to be out here," I heard an angry male voice say from behind me, causing me to jump. I turned around and saw Atom with a cross expression on his face. He walked up to me and grabbed the back of my jacket, quite forcefully actually before he lead me back to camp, which was barely five minutes from the clearing I was in.

"Please don't tell Bellamy," I begged, knowing that if Bellamy found out I left camp, he wouldn't let me out of his sight ever again and I would be in big trouble. When he didn't give me an answer, I figured that I was definitely screwed. 

Atom, still gripping the back of my jacket, took me to the drop ship. "Up," He demanded, telling me to climb up the ladder. 

"You're not the boss of me," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Up," The boy repeated, his demand more aggressive than his last.

I huffed, rolling my eyes before doing as I was told.

"Why do I have to go up here? What's even up here?" I asked, climbing up the ladder. I made it up to the middle level, thinking Atom was following me. Instead, I looked down the ladder to see Atom had shut the hatch and locked it.

"Hey! You can't just lock me up here!" I yelled, banging my fists on the hatch. "Bellamy's gonna kick your ass!" I shouted, not caring that I was saying bad words.

"He won't if it keeps you safe!" Atom shouted back from below.

"What am I even supposed to do up here?" I shouted, whining.