Chapter Nineteen

It's been about an hour and a half since we got back, I'm now standing in front of the Colonel's desk. It would seem he's not thrilled with the little stunt I pulled. I've just got to hope that being used as a lab rat gets me points here.

"Sir, I can't give you an army." I pause. "But there are three of us, and that's more than you had yesterday."

"Look, Rogers. You've got balls. I'll give you that much. But you could have comprised the lives of everyone in this camp." He says through an irritated grunt.

"But I didn't. I withstood hours and hours of torture but never revealed a thing" He looks at me with a weary eyebrow raised. "They had this map. I'm not sure if they were bases or factories but there were six of Hydra's buildings marked on it and I can show you all of them."

He considers this. "How can you be so sure?"

"After being immobilized for hours at a time with only that map to look at? Hell, you get me a set of oils and I'll paint it for you."

There's a moment of silence. "We can't afford to waste any superhumans." He sighs. "I like your spirit kid. Welcome to the army."

Holy shit, it was that easy?

Is this how it feels to be a man?

"Yes sir." I nod, attempting to hide my grin.

"Quit smiling at me. Go with Agent Carter, she'll get you cleaned up." He nods to a woman about my height with her back to us, talking to two uniformed men. She says something more and they salute her before going on their way.

She turns, locking eyes with me. Crimson red lips spread into a smile.

"Agent Carter." I say, shaking her hand.

"Please, call me Peggy." Her accented voice is smooth and welcoming. "Y/N, is it?"

"Yes, ma'am." I nod.

"Steve's told me all about you." She says as we leave the makeshift office. "I must admit, though I'm not supposed to, I am thoroughly impressed."

"Sorry?"

"Well, of course! What was it exactly you did again when Johann Schmidt tried to interrogate you...?"

"...I spit in his face, yeah." I say with a soft laugh, shaking my head.

"Incredible." She says, probably imagining with pure joy Schmidt's rage. "I understand you were experimented on?"

I swallow. "That's correct, yes."

"Alright, we'll get your blood drawn to try to determine just what they did to you, and then we'll head into town so you can shower and change."

"Change into what?" I ask.

"I'm sure I'll find you something." She says with a wink.

...

"That should be good." Says the lab coat above me as he removes the needle from my arm. "Thank you, Ma'am."

"Think you have enough there?" I ask sarcastically, staring at the many vials of my blood. I look down at the tiny red bead forming on my skin. All around it are purplish little dots that make it look like they were poking around for the vein. But we both know that's not what they're from. I blink away an angry tear before anyone gets a chance to see it.

"Apologies, Ms. Rogers, but we're so in the dark as to the contents of their serum that we want to run every test we have." He explains, to which I just nod.

Just then Peggy appears in the doorway holding a cup of water.

"We ought to be on our way," she says, handing me the drink. "Thank you, doctor."