Chapter Forty

2014

S.H.I.E.L.D. has fallen, and Hydra along with it. In the events leading up to their collapse, the rouge Nazi science division failed to kill targets Natasha Romanoff, Nicholas Fury, Samuel Wilson, and Steven Rogers. They also lost their vital Winter Soldier. The Soldier pulled Rogers from the river and they disappeared together. Their prize killer lost and their prime target with him.

Hydra has fallen.

Mostly.

"One month ago Alexander Pierce was killed and our secrets with S.H.I.E.L.D. were exposed." He addresses the skeleton crew in front of him. "But all is not lost. Those files are encoded there is much on paper they do not have. This has weakened us, but we are alive yet overseas. If we are to survive this we have one option." He motions to the woman dressed in black standing stiffly next to him. "Her. Hydra can be saved if the ones who ruined us are destroyed. She is the only one capable of achieving that."

Murmurs spread throughout the room. The assassin's success is infamously reliable. But this is different. This time...

"...Her connection to the targets is...not ideal. But we have been forced to take chances."

"Who says?" Shouts a voice from the crowd.

The man at the front of room's back straightens.

"I do."

The speaker snickers.

"And who put you in charge, huh Klein?"

Volker Klein glances at the woman beside him. Her face is covered, but she looks back. She understands. Underneath her tinted goggles is a mask that holds the flowers that control her. It covers her grimace.

"You wish to lead?" Volker challenges. "Come then, show yourself."

A few more snide remarks sound in the crowd as the man who had protested assigns his voice a face. His hands rest on his hips.

"Alright, Klein. What n-"

A crack sounds through the room. He falls dead. All heads swivel to the assassin as she casually lowers her arm and tucks her handgun away. Volker briefly watches her with pride before turning back to the stunned silent crowd.

He smiles.

"Questions?"

No one dares speak.

He nods contently and faces the woman.

"Follow, flower. You'll be briefed and sent out." His hand holds her chin. He pulls her close and softly kisses her forehead, which is just about her only exposed skin. His lips travel to her ear and he smiles against her cheek. His volume drops to a low whisper.

"I know you won't fail me."

...

It's spring, nearly summer. The window of apartment 3B is wide open. James Barnes stands with his back mostly turned to it as he waters a slightly wilted plant. He sighs contently, happy to finally be home. Home, home and...and free.

Her rifle is nearly put together.

There's a knock at the door.

His brows furrow in slight confusion as he leaves the window and walks out of sight. A doorknob can be heard turning, then the corresponding door opening with a click and a slight squeak.

A soft Russian curse meets the air, uttered from the empty building next door.

"Surprise!" Shout the happy voices of his friends.