Chapter Forty Six (Content warning: smut)

This chapter is dedicated to d3yann , without whom it wouldn't exist.

Content Warning: Smut (Slight praise kink, soft dom!Bucky, very slight degrading kink, teasing, slight edging)

___________________________

The sun has long since set. The only light in the apartment comes from a yellow bulb in a tall lamp by the couch. It casts long shadows on the plain walls. Alpine snores softly, sprawled out on the kitchen floor. After I turned off the TV, I sat in silence and tried to put together the puzzle, but grew more and more frustrated as I realized I was missing a piece. I'm so close to the truth.

But not quite there.

I glance at the cable box. 11:38.

The doorknob starts to turn. I sit up and watch as Bucky walks in, rubbing his temples and loosening his tie.

"Bucky." I say in a neutral tone, trying to get his attention. He blinks, a little surprised.

"Oh, hey doll." He smiles tiredly as he kicks off his shoes. "I thought you'd already be asleep."

I shake my head.

"I need to talk to you."

He frowns a little, but sets down his bag and sits next to me.

"Alright." He says. "What's up?"

I take a breath, thinking about how to start this.

"For as long as I can remember," I say as the words come to me. "I've heard a voice, every morning right before I open my eyes. It says 'Y/N, darling, you've got to wake up.' Every. Single. Time." I continue with more conviction. "Now everyone's calling me Y/N and I hear the voice whenever you talk because it's your voice."

His eyes narrow and he chews his lip.

I take a breath.

"There's something you all aren't telling me, and it's something I deserve to know." There are tears forming in my eyes. "Tell me who you are. Tell me why I hear your voice when I wake up."

He looks at me in a way he hasn't before. With fresh eyes and free feeling.

So quietly, he asks a one word question to which he already knows the answer.

In the dim light, he asks;

"Y/N?"

It's so clear now

The missing puzzle piece forms in front of me and drops into my waiting palm.

I see it.

I see it all.

My brother.

My lover.

Myself.

I am Y/N Rogers.

My hands find his chest while my lips find his. He relaxes against me, his metal arm snaking around my waist and his flesh one holding my jaw. I push him down into the cushions without breaking the kiss. He chuckles as I desperately try undo the button on his suit jacket, then every button on the shirt underneath. As I rush to undress him, my hands shake, and I miss a few. He smiles against my lips and brings me back the ones I'd missed, holding me still enough to finish what I'd started. His chest exposed, I kiss from his neck, down to his abs, and then just by his hips. A stifled moan escapes him as I gently bite his sensitive skin. I find his zipper and pull down his suit pants, revealing the bulge in his gray boxers. He squirms just a little and I move back up his chest, kissing his jaw when I get there.