Chapter Eighteen (Content Warning: Discussions of Sexual Assult)

He blinks, hearing my words. Picking them apart and putting them back together. Looking for a different meaning. But he can't find one. I watch him react, watch his confusion turn to realization and then to relief. His smile is so bright and so true and so real. After nearly a month of darkness, we've found our light.

He scoops me up and spins me around, laughing and peppering my face with excited kisses.

"You know what, Rogers?" He says.

"What's that?" I laugh, wiping at where his lips had just been.

As my toes touch the ground once again, he tucks a loose strand of my knotted hair behind my ear and gently holds my face, being weary of my many cuts and bruises.

"I love you too." He says, thumbing my cheek. "God, I love you so much."

Three words did this. Just three.

And I'll say them again and again, forever and always.

"Ahem."

"OHMYFUCK." I shout, startled. Cringing, I realize exactly who has been watching us.

"Hey, language." Steve is staring at us, arms crossed, looking rather amused.

Bucky tenses up. "Steve, I'm sorry, I should have talked to you." He says, but Steve waves his hand dismissively.

"Don't be, pal." He meets my eyes. "There's not a single man out there who deserves her more."

"I'll treat her like gold." Bucky swears, like he's got his hand on a bible.

As if there's anything in the world he has left to prove.

"Oh, you had better." I tease, and Steve chuckles. Bucky loops his arm around my waist holds me tight against his side.

"Alright, lovebirds." Steve says. "Let's get you two some real food."

And with that, we walk together to the mess hall, laughing and shoving as we always have.

...

The hall is full of life when we arrive. Friends are reuniting and there's not an empty table in sight. Everyone is simply enjoying each other's company. But above all the noise, I hear a familiar southern voice shriek my name.

"Y/N!" Lucy nearly tackles me in her hug. "Oh, lord, you're alive! You're ok! You're here, and you're ok! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, I missed you so much, I was so worried, and it was all my fault-" She rambles at lightning speed, voice cracking like she might cry.

"Woah, Lu, calm down." I say, hugging her nearly as tight. "None of this is your fault. Not one bit. I made my choice." She reluctantly nods with a sniff and a small smile. I grin and glance at Bucky, who's talking to Steve. "Look, I have... news."

Her jaw drops as she realizes what I'm getting at.

"I KNEW IT!" She squeals like a schoolgirl, all upset leaving her small body in an instant.

"SHHH!" I hush her, laughing hysterically. Poor Bucky looks so confused. "Come on, there's someone I want you to meet."

"Alright." She says, trying to contain her giggles.

"Lucy, this is my brother." I say, introducing the two.

"H-ey, I know you!" She says.

"I don't think-" Steve starts.

"You were here yesterday, in the outfit! Captain America, right?"

I snicker as Steve runs a hand through his hair, embarrassed.