Chapter Six

Time passed slowly as I waited anxiously for where I'd be deployed. There was no word from Steve or Bucky, but it had only been a week, so I suppose that wasn't out of the ordinary.

Every day I checked my mail.

Tuesday? Nothing.

Wednesday? Nothing.

Thursday? Nothing.

And then finally, my letter came. But it didn't say where I would be deployed. Confused, I had read it through a second time, but there was no mistake, not on my end at least; the only information regarding where I would be going was an airport that I was to report to Saturday, in uniform, with whatever I'd be taking with me.

Now, here I stand, with nothing but a small suitcase containing the spare uniform and a book, about to board a plane to god knows where. But I'm not afraid. There's not a shred of doubt in my heart. This was where I'm meant to be. So I board that plane with a damn smile.

We get situated and take off. The plane is full of other women dressed just like me. The girl I'm seated next to is nice enough. Her short brown hair is perfectly styled, her ivy-colored eyes full of optimism. Sitting down, I tower over her. Her smile is nothing short of stunning, charming dimples pop out as she grins. Her olive skin turns a slightly muddy brown when the plane's red lights switch on.

"Do you know where we're headed off to?" She asks me. I can't quite place her accent, but it sounds vaguely southern.

"No," I reply. "I'm sorry, I don't."

"I heard we're going to Italy." A different girl chimes in.

"Yes, I heard that too." Says another.

"Well if it is Italy, that'll be a little bit." I say to the first girl I had been talking to. "I think I'm going to sleep, if that's alright with you?"

"No problem at all, sugar." She says with a friendly smile. Then her smile drops as she says, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I don't think I caught your name."

"Y/N Rogers, yours?" I ask.

"Lucy Mancini, M-A-N-C-I-N-I." She recites like she's had to say it her whole life, which I don't doubt she has.

"Gotcha." I laugh, relaxing and leaning my head back.

"We're seeing the world, Y/N." She says wistfully. "Now ain't that somethin'."

That's an optimistic take

"Maybe." I mumble with a smile. Within an instant, I'm out.

...

"Y/N." Someone says, nudging my shoulder. "Y/N, get up."

"Hmm?" I groan, groggy and only vaguely aware of my surroundings.

"We landed, you gotta get up." It's Lucy.

I suddenly remember where I am. "Are we there?" I ask, now sitting up, becoming more alert.

"Yes, you!" She giggles.

I gather my belongings as we get off the plane. I'm glad I'll be out here with Lucy, I hope we'll be friends. It's hitting me that I've left my few friends in the states behind, so if I have to make new ones, I'm happy for her to be one of them.

Getting off the plane, we're gathered into a small huddle. There're maybe 50 of us standing there.

An older nurse, maybe in her 40s, starts to tell us what's what.

"Lastly, that over there," She points to a few large white tents. Her accent is British. "That's your hospital. You'll be in there as long as we need you to be, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!" We say in unison.

"Good." She nods. "You're on the front lines now, ladies. We've got a lot of good men to save. Welcome to the 107th."

Wait

"107th?" I whisper.

"...Y/N?" A voice asks from behind me.

I freeze.

Please be real.

Please, please, please.

I don't know what I'm going to do if you're not there.

Slowly, I turn.

And it's him.

"Bucky!" I shout, running into his arms.

He's real. He's ok. He's here.

He's here and so am I.

"Buck," I say, overwhelmed with the feelings I've been pushing down since he left. "I'm so sorry."

He laughs, wrapping his arms around me, clearly amused. "Doll, what in the living hell are you talking about?"

I lift my face from his chest to look at him "I yelled at you, the last night we saw each other--"

"That's what this is about?" He says, holding me tight. He's trying not to show it, but I know that night left him hurting too.

I smile and bury my face in his chest again, mumbling, "Shut up, Barnes."

He chuckles, before suddenly letting me go. I look up at him, confused. Concern is written all over his face.

"Y/N, are you out of your fucking mind? Why are you here? It's not safe here!" He says, hands on my shoulders.

"I did exactly what you did," I answer indignantly, taking a half step away from him. He might have two years on me, but I'm not a child. I can handle myself. "I joined the army! Well not the Army, I suppose, the Nurse Corps, but who's to say really."

He squints.

"You did what? Why?"

Well, Bucky, darling, a poster told me to.

Blame the poster.

"You and Steve are both in the army now, what else was I going to do? Just go about like everything is normal while you put your lives on the line? I had to do something useful."

"You're not making any sense." He says. "What are you saying? Steve was enlisted?"

"Yes?" I say, looking at him in confusion. "I thought he told you?"

"No." Bucky says, more to himself than to me. "No, he didn't."