Chapter Thirty Eight

1958
Day 4,751

".....b..ucky..."

Her words turn to mumbles as she breathes the flower's scent. She doesn't know to whom the name belongs, but it seems to be the only thing her lips find themselves able to say.

She is hoisted to her feet, her arms draped over two sets of strong shoulders that carry her from the room. Their radios crackle as they spit demands into them.

They arrive at the door labeled "медицинский" at the same time he does. He slows from his sprint to a jog to a walk before eventually stopping in front of them. With the unexpected emergency he hasn't had time to get into costume. Still, he smooths back his hair, nods, and takes her from them. He watches as they turn to leave, waiting until they have made considerable distance down the hallway to address the woman in his arms.

"Now, hush, flower." He says as he turns the handle.

Her murmurs continue.

He sighs, pushing open the door. The chair waits. She blinks and finally recognizes her surroundings, eyes wide and breath quick. Her legs find their strength as she pushes away from him.

Sweat rolls down her forehead and tears flow freely from her eyes. The grip the flower has on her mind is strong, but she writhes none the less.

"...n- no..." She pants as she backs into the corner. "..d- don't ta..ke him a-away again..."

The soldier stands a yard or so from her. Though his is face relaxed his eyes are speared with shock. But he maintains his calm demeanor.

She sinks to the ground, desperately holding herself as she pushes out broken words.

"Pl- ease..."

He takes a step forward.

"NO!"

His brows raise. Her labored inhales make a high pitched sound that is reiterated by the walls around her. He stops.

Her grief is loud.

"I..I love h-him!"

Now this. This makes him angry. He closes the distance between them, grabbing her by her neck and forcefully pulling her to her feet.

"What did you say?" He whispers menacingly.

"I LOVE HIM!" She cries in his face, her nails clawing at his hand.

He drags her kicking and screaming to the chair, pushing her back against it and holding her there with his knee pinned on her chest.

"You." He growls. "You are not capable of love."

The restraints find her arms.

"BUCKY!" She screams for him at the top of her lungs. The soldier's face drops in pure terror, because in the brief second of quiet, someone answers.

"Y/N?"

She blinks hard and shakes her head, breathing heavy.