Chapter Twelve (Content Warning: Torture)

The man throws a punch that collides with my jaw. I can't show him the pain I'm feeling, so with everything left in me I stare into his eyes and laugh.

"That was pathetic." I say, impressively coherent.

"Oh?" He asks, throwing another that lands on my right brow.

I bite my bleeding lip trying to silence a shout, but ultimately it just contributes to the pain. I ball my fists, trying to let the pain pass, but he hits me again. And again. And again.

Eventually he stops and looks at me. I can tell I'm in rough shape; my nose is bleeding, the cut on my lip has doubled in size, my eye is swollen.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." He says, crouching to be at eye level. "Where is that fiery spirit now, hm?" He loops a strand of my hair around his finger, and I turn my head away from him. I'm not going to give him the pleasure of being acknowledged. He grabs my face and turns it back to him. We're inches apart as his hand cups my chin. "What do we call you...a flower such as yourself— I like 'Edelweiss', don't you?" He says, with a sickening grin on his face.

I raise my head to meet his eyes. My voice is low and venomous. I'm not about to let this slime ball erase my person. "My name is Y/N Rogers and you will refer to me as such."

He laughs. "You have no power here, Edelwei-" I clamp my teeth down on his thumb, breaking his skin.

Should have listened to me the first time.

Bitch.

He shouts in pain, jumping back from me.

I grin through the sting of my lips.

"Don't I?"

He stares at me with pure hatred in his eyes, all his previous enjoyment gone. My stomach drops as he kicks the leg of the chair out from underneath itself, causing it to fall on its side. My skull hits the ground before the rest of me does, and the sound echoes throughout the room. I groan as my head throbs. Before I can recover, he starts repeatedly kicking my stomach. Over and over, every time his boot hits my skin I feel like throwing up.

Desperately, I start to wriggle my hand closest to the floor out of the ropes. I have to make him stop.

"Oh, I don't think so, flower." He gleefully growls, stomping on my wrist. "I'm not done." 

I scream in pain, tears clearing trails through the blood on my face as they fall. Again he crouches and looks into my eyes. "Is the flower not as strong as she thought?"

I don't even have the will to answer, so I shut my eyes and lay my throbbing head on the floor painted red with my blood. I barely remember why I'm here at all.

"What's this?" He asks, holding up Bucky's dog tags. I had tucked them into my shirt, but they must have come out when I hit the floor. "'Sergeant James Barnes'— Is he your lover?" He taunts. "We have a Sergeant James Barnes here, is he yours? Come to save him, have you? So brave, Edelweiss."

"Don't you dare say his name." I growl.

He ignores me. "How do you think he'll feel when I show him what I've done to you, hm? Tell me, flower." He grins.

I spit the blood out of my mouth.

"Fuck you!" I shout. He resumes his beating in response, landing a kick in my chest that knocks the wind out of me. I lay there, coughing and gasping for air, but he only stops when the door opens and Schmidt finally walks back in, holding a file.

"Well done, soldier." He says. "Pick her up."

The chair is set right and Schmidt nods at my abuser. "You are dismissed." He nods back and does a double-take as he leaves the room, licking his lips at my bloodied body.

"So, fräulein, are you ready to talk?" I just stare up at him, completely drained. I feel like a shell of myself, lightheaded and coughing up blood. "I will take your silence as a yes." He says. "Shall we begin?"