29

The morning sun rises. Its rays invades my room.

I rub my eyes before opening them. I sit up from my bed, feeling something slip off my forehead. The compress. It's not cold anymore.

I grab my phone from the bedside table to check the time. 8:17 a.m. Hospital visiting hours are at 12:00 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. then in the evening from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

I check my temperature using my hands. I know it's hard to feel your own temperature but I was desperate. I really want to see her.

I lift my blanket off and made the bed. I do my usual morning routine and wear a decent shirt and jeans. I go downstairs and the smell of Japanese home cooked breakfast made me drool.

"Morning, nee-san."

"Shouto! You surprised me!" She jumps at my voice breaking the silence.

"Sorry."

"It's fine. Good morning, Shouto! Had a nice sleep?"

"Yeah. And I think I feel much better now." I walk over to the cabinets and grab two bowls.

"Make that three."

I almost drop them.

"What?"

"Shouto, I know you hate him but let's just appreciate that he feels better this morning, too."

I sigh and grab three.

-

The awkward tension could be the death of me.

The table is all quiet. Just the sound of the clinks from the chopsticks and bowls.

"Shouto," my father speaks through the eerie atmosphere. I look up at him, hiding my scowl.

"I decided to call off your marriage."

I choke on my rice. I grab my glass of water and drink it.

"What-? Why so sudden?"

"I . . ." He takes his time to finish his sentence, but I can see that he is really struggling. "You have grown stronger, my son. And I believe . . . you will not bring shame to the family."

'Family'? Not 'name' . . . ?

"Why are you-"

"If you like the idea, don't make me change my mind," he firmly finishes the conversation.

I couldn't believe it. This is a side that I never imagined he would show. I didn't even know that he had this side.

But I shut my mouth and continue eating.

After breakfast, I grab my phone to send a message.

Shouto: Rika, have you heard about our cancelled arranged marriage?

She doesn't text me right back.

"How's your fever?" my sister asks as she places her hand on my forehead again. She smiles. "It's gone down. Seems like we can visit Kyryan later."

I hum in agreement. Then, my phone vibrates in my hand and my sister left the living room.

Rika: Yes. I'm really glad :)

Shouto: How? Did you do something?

Rika: No.

Shouto: My old man said he believed in me?

Rika: That's good to hear!

Rika: Do you remember the guy that I always talk about? My crush?

Shouto: Yeah.