07

Finally, it is recess.

I sit with my friends, eating cold soba. Midoriya sits beside me, Uraraka is in front of me and Iida sits next to her. There are also Hagakure, Yaoyorozu, Mina, Kaminari and Mineta. I'm not even sure why the two class perverts are joining us.

" Midoriya. "

" Hmm? What is it, Todoroki-kun? "

" I was wondering . . . " Her 'compliment' from yesterday keeps me up at night. That's why I was sleepy in class the whole day. " What do you think of candy canes? "

Midoriya looks at me weirdly at how random the question is. But he ignores and answers it anyways. " Well, I'm not really sure of what you mean but . . . I think they're sweet? "

Is this what she meant? Sweet? I did give her the camera. Is that what she describes me?

I nod and thank him before continuing my meal when Uraraka butts in. " What's wrong, Todoroki-kun? Did a girl call you 'Candy Cane'? " I almost choke on my soba. I lift my head up to see Uraraka leaning towards me, curious to know my answer. The girls are also looking at me.

" N-No. It's nothing. " I curse mentally for stuttering but everyone believed and continues eating.

Except one particular girl.

" You're hiding something, " Mina presses. I turn to her, acting dumbfounded. " You stuttered and your ears are red! " Now all of them at the table pause and turn to observe my ears.

" They are red! "

" Todoroki-kun, was someone on your mind? "

" Do you have crush on someone? "

" Does she have huge curves-- "

" Okay, that's enough! " I cut them off. " But what's a crush? " My voice suddenly change back to being calm.

" A crush is someone that would make your heart race whenever you're with them or think about them. They can even make you feel like you're in cloud nine. And you would want to protect them, especially their smile at any cost. Having a crush can make you feel new emotions that you've never felt before. This usually happens when it is your first experience. " Midoriya explains. I didn't realize how tentative I was on each word he spoke until he finished.

" What kind of emotions? " I ask.

" Shy, the feeling of butterflies in your stomach. Jealousy, when other people approaches them and makes them smile. And others. "

" Oh, " was all I answered.

" Has someone, or anyone, ever made you feel those ways? " he pushed but in a gentle tone. I pause for a moment but I don't need to think. I already know the answer.

" Yes— "

" WHO IS IT?!! " The girls, Kaminari and Mineta slam their hands on the table, making a loud noise. Midoriya, Iida and I back away from our seats.

" Guys, it is inappropriate for us, students from an elite school, to make such noise. Therefore, I assure you-- "

" Tell us! Tell us! Tell us! " Uraraka interrupted Iida.

" Yeah, Todoroki-kun! Pretty please! " Hagakure pleads.

I sigh out of annoyance for invading my privacy. " Find out yourself. These kinds of things can be kept as a secret, isn't it? "

They pout and slump back to their seats, hopes crushed. On the other hand, Midoriya tries to lighten their mood a bit but fails.

" She has black hair, heterochromia eyes and she's short like Uraraka. " My eyes move up to look at them. " Is that enough information to find out who she is? "

Soon, all of their faces brighten up, hopes forming once again. And they all nod at once.

" Challenge accepted! "

"U.A. Sports Festival is approaching, boys and girls!" Mr. Aizawa announces

"THAT'S TOTALLY ORDINARY!!" Everyone shouts.

Mr. Aizawa starts to explain the U.A. Sports Festival. "On the contrary: since we're going ahead with festival, it means the school is confident it has all its ducks in a row when it comes to crisis control now. I hear police presence will be five times bigger than normal, for example.

"What you should be thinking about is . . . What a huge chance the academy's sports festival for you all. This isn't some event that'll be brought to a halt by the likes of villains.

"Our sports festival is one of Japan's biggest events! In days past, the Olympics was sports festivity that whipped all the nation into a froth of enthusiasm! But now, as you know, the extent and population has shrunk and it's lost a lot of substance.

"So what has taken the place of the Olympics in Japan is the U.A. Sports Festival!"

From beside me, I hear Momo speak, "The country's top heroes are all sure to be watching us!"

"Naturally, entering a squad of a famous hero will get you higher status and more experience. Remember, time is limited. If you get noticed by a pro, that gives a standing for a bright future than otherwise. This is the chance you'll get only once a year . . . for a total of three chances. If you aim to be a hero, this is an event you can't overlook!" Mr. Aizawa finishes.

After ending his forever-explanation, the atmosphere in the classroom intensifies. I scoff at the thought of my old man will be watching me. I will show him that I will completely reject the Quirk I inherit from him.

Later on, I trained as usual after school but today I didn't bump into Kyryan in the forest. It wasn't that I want to see her made me feel disappointed . . .

. . . someone that would make your heart race whenever you're with them or think about them.

Has someone, or anyone, ever made you feel those ways?

What am I thinking? Who is Kyryan to me? She's no one! She hates me and she's younger than me. In what way had she made my heart race?

Or was what I said true?

Definitely not. She hates me and she is my sister's student. If Kyryan and I are together, I don't know what lies or truths about me that Fuyumi will tell.

Shut it, Shouto! That kid hates you and we barely know each other but you're already thinking of her as your girlfriend? It won't happen in a million years. Besides, the old man is gonna find me a powerful girl to marry to get a powerful child. Kyryan is just. . .

Is she Quirkless?

I stop in the middle of my tracks to think about it. Does she have powers like 80% of the people in this world have? What about Evan? Does he have powers, too?

What the hell am I thinking?! It's their business.

I sigh in full frustration. My hands make their way to my hair, tugging it. I hate this so much. Why is Kyryan always on my mind? Because of her, I can't focus on the things that are more important right now.

I hate her as much as she hates me and I don't care.