Chapter Twenty-Five

She stares at the blank canvas sitting in front of her next to the untouched paints, clean water, and dry brushes

She stares at the blank canvas sitting in front of her next to the untouched paints, clean water, and dry brushes. The flowers all around Willa wait to be recreated.

Sun shines into the quiet garden, glistening off all the due drops from the sprinklers above. She grabs an angled brush, dips it into the red, and holds steady. Moments go by with no movement. A few minutes pass and the canvas remains empty.

She sighs.

Nothing is more frustrating to her than feeling dull. No motivation nor inspiration to fuel her hand wanting to make strokes of red, green, and every color imaginable.

She lowers the brush back down, nearly flinging it across the way when a bark erupts from the gate. There Kona stands, wagging her tail back and forth. Instinctively, Willa's eyes dart over to her neighbors house. Jasper is no where to be seen.

Kona barks again and stamps her left paw into the ground.

"Alright, alright I'm coming." A giggle escapes her. "You're very impatient you know that?"

She fixes her paint stained leggings, maneuvers around the easel, and goes over to pet the dog who happily greets her with tons of kisses. Suddenly the weight that had been weighing the girl down lifts even if it's just for a moment.

"Being a human is hard. It sucks, you know? I mean I know dogs can get diseases too it's just the fact that out of everyone it could've happen to, it happens to me."

Willa positions herself on her back, looking up at the purple wisteria hanging down from above with Kona beside her, the gate open.

"That sounds bad. I'd rather have this than anyone else have it. Sometimes I just think about where I'd be at if I was normal. No tumors, no seizures, just freckles and being the pretty girl at school that isn't covered in scars."

Kona whines and nudges her arm, causing Willa to smile.

"It's ok. I know scars aren't ugly. They're apart of me and I need to remember that they make me who I am. Wish other people saw that though."

Almost human like, Kona's head tilts and turns to the back door of her home where Jasper emerges with a bowl of cereal, a slight smirk playing at the corner of his lips. For some reason Willa can't look away. She's transfixed with surprise and realization at what the dog seemed to be hinting at.

And for a moment, her heart beat quickens just at the thought.

🥀

I am in love with what's going on here. I'm trying to put in more character development with the dog and Jasper for reasons I'm not going to say or else it'd spoil the whole thing haha.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas break and isn't working themselves too hard with school coming back today, or at least in Oregon on the West coast it has. Tell me all about what you did!

Also, do you have any comments to make for where the books heading, where you want it to head, or what you thinks gonna happen? Or, do you have anymore guesses about what she has? I've looked at the comments and seen all the replies but I'm not going to say whether or not her disease has been commented so I'll try to put in more hints the next few chapters.

Don't forget to

vote
comment
share
follow me
add to your reading list

And I will see all you lovelies in the next one 💕