Chapter Twenty-Six

Her hands are shaking

She grips onto the basket harder.

What if he opens the door before I get the chance to set it down?

Oh don't be a wuss. It's not like you're asking him out or anything.

The thought makes Willa blush. A month this boy has lived here and out of the blue, she can't say or think about him without turning into a tomato. Walking across the grass between their houses, the teen stops at the bottom of the porch and takes a careful step up. It creeks.

A minute passes by. She takes another step. There's silence, other than wind blowing at a wind chime hung up near the left corner of the house.

This isn't a big deal. Just set the damn thing down and knock.

Willa stalks up the remaining steps until there's inches between her and the welcome mat.

I hope he likes everything.

Inside the woven basket is a handful of items ranging from spicy, carb filled foods to sugary delights; ramen in five different flavors as well as chowmein, Cheetos—both crunchy and puffs, homemade sushi within the confines of a plastic container, sour patch watermelons, chunky chocolate chip cookies, and to top everything off, an assortment of beautiful flowers picked straight from the garden.

She eagerly sets it down, rasping one, two , three times on the front door. Immediately, her heart stops.

Oh god.

Willa finds herself sprinting back to her own porch and diving down behind its secrecy right as the entrance opens. She's breathing heavily, though ignores the pain and possible splinters to peer through the railing.

Clad in sweatpants and a navy blue crewneck, Jasper steps out into the light, tired and clearly confused. He bends down toward the package with Kona eagerly awaiting a visitor of some kind behind him. Out the kid pulls a folded piece of paper.

Hey Neighbor. Here's a present for getting your grades up. Don't forget to put water in the pot and let it boil.

P.s - there's a treat for Kona in the bottom somewhere with red ribbon surrounding it, I refuse to be held liable if you accidentally consume a bone

sincerely,

Firefly

She watches his face light up with a smile that no words can describe.

What's happening to me?

🥀

I sincerely apologize for the long wait. I feel like I'm repeating myself but I haven't had much motivation or time to write on this story because of school work and my job, as well as some other full narratives I have that are in the works. I hope you all continue to read and follow their journey no matter how many hiatuses i take.

Don't forget to

vote
comment
share
add to your reading list
and follow

And I will see all you lovelies in the next one 💕