Chapter Forty-Seven

White

White.

White is everywhere.

The floors. The walls. The coats of every doctor walking by.

His hands shake.

Their looks of pity don't change anything. They can't stop the tears. They can't make him feel better. No one can. Except for her.

He watches the infirmary doors, waiting. Jasper waits for one of them to come through telling him she's just fine, that the whole world is exactly as it should be with her smile lighting up the sun behind dark, thunderous storm clouds. He waits and wraps the blanket they had given him tighter around his body, wishing so badly it was her arms instead.

One of them finds a seat next to his left but Jasper refuses to look over. He doesn't want to see what the pit of his stomach is telling him is going to be written across their face. Sorrow. furrowed eyebrows. Anything as an indication that she didn't make it.

"Jasper, honey..."

"J-Just...j...just tell-tell me. Tell me. Do-Don't s-s-sugar coat-coat it. is..s Willa okay? Is sh-e okay? She-She's okay righ-right?"

His foster mom sighs. "It's not as simple as that. But yes, Willa is alive...for now."

For now. She's alive, for now.

"What's important that you know is that you saved her life. She wouldn't have made the trip to the hospital if it hadn't been for you. You gave her a fighting chance."

The word terminal pops into Jaspers mind, causing him to shake his head and throw it into the palms of his hands. "She's dying, though. W-Willa's dying a-a-and there's nothing anyone can do about it, right?"

There's a moment of silence between them before she speaks again. "We aren't sure at this moment. There's certain thing's we aren't allowed to discuss but I can tell you that we are doing everything in our power to keep her heart beating, okay? Someone will get you later when she's out of surgery and is allowed visitors. Keep her in your thoughts."

That'll be easy. She hasn't left them from the moment our eyes met.

🥀

I'm estimating around two chapters—possibly—left. I'm off work today sick so hopefully I can get those done and get them out to you quicker than this one had come. I love you all.

Don't forget to

vote
comment
share
follow me
add to your reading list

And I will see all you lovelies in the next one 💕