17. Clipped

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

No part of this publication may be reproduced.

17. CLIPPED.

Scrubbing myself as quick as possible I was bound to make this the shortest shower of my life. Sick in my stomach I walked out of the shower dreading for what had to come. I quickly wrapped a silky green midnight colored bathrobe around myself and started walking. It was comfortably warm and the scent of tropical forest tickled my senses pleasurably. I needed to find Zophiel that was mission. Finding my way back to the living area was no challenge and when I located the door that would lead me to Zophiel; I made an eager sprint towards it. However Hermiel exiting the door had me halting my movements.

“Going somewhere?” Hermiel asked with a handsome lazy smile as he blocked the door with his large muscular frame. “You know damn well where I’m…” My words faded off into the distance as I stared in horror at Hermiel’s arms, hands. They looked as if they had been drenched in a barrel of blood. I could see layer upon layer, each darker or redder in tint and when I found my voice again it came out husk. “Is he?” I bit back a sob as I dug my nails angrily into my palms in an attempt to center myself. “He is not.”Said the man softly as he crossed his blood covered arms over his muscular chest and slowly leaned his athletic frame lazily against the door frame, never breaking his composure.

“I don’t believe you.” I said giving him a narrowed eyed look. Hermiel chuckled. “Your chicken is merely clipped.”He mocked playfully, his composure never faltering. “Thank you for signing my death certificate.” I spat at the calm angel as tears streaked down my angry face. Hermiel gave me a puzzled look. Turning on the ball of my foot I span around and walked towards the open window that lead me to a thick forest. I needed to get away, I needed to breath. Confused and hurt my panicked mind flooded me with nightmares filled with pain and fear. The air blew out of me when the realization came that Zophiel wouldn’t be able to protect us anymore. We were sheep again. Sheep locked in a den full of hungry wolves. Picking up my pace in panic and confusion I tripped in clumsiness and scrapped my hands and knees open badly on the forest floor. I didn’t care, this was no way near the pain we went through every night in the asylum.

“Staring at your wounds won’t make them go away.” Hermiel mumbled softly from behind me. I hadn’t noticed him following me and realized that angels contradictory to their alluring large size were incredibly stealthy. I didn’t bother acknowledging his presence and I continued to stare at my wounds as blood slowly trickled down my skin. “I know now.” He said softly. “Your fear. I saw it, felt it, tasted it, all of it in your mind.” He said now crouched in front of me. Had it not been for him entering my vision, I would have never known he moved. Lethally stealthy these creatures were for certain but that didn’t scare me, because what was waiting for me at the asylum was worse. Picking up a strand of my white hair he brushed it behind my ear. “I’ll show Eosthrathaeus Alexis. He will make sure no harm comes to you or your friend”.  I looked up at his handsome face and saw it was filled with sincere concern. “Bring me to him.” I demanded.

“What in the name of Mother Nature happened to you?!” Eos snarled from behind his large oak antique desk as he looked me franticly up and down. “I fell.” I said nonchalantly as Hermiel nodded in agreement. “You fell.” Eos stated sarcastically as he glared at me and then shifted his gaze to Hermiel. “She fell.” Eos repeated clearly not amused. “Icarus has been notified; however I have something to show you.” Hermiel said in a stern voice that complimented his loyalty to Eos. Hermiel held out his open hands and Eos’s raised an eyebrow. He moved from behind his desk with lethal grace and closed the distance between him and his devoted Colonel. They were taking each other’s hands one minute and the other they were both staring at me with concern. “On one condition only my mǣnōn.” Eos demanded as he brushed his knuckles over my cheek in a tender caress.  I intentionally didn’t meet his gaze and Eos grunted unsatisfied and he moved back to his seat insulted.