3.Frost

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

No part of this publication may be reproduced.

3.FROST

I was content on my sill, just staring out of my window. Just being, existing. I appreciated this new view which was unknown to me for these past three months. Looking out over the large garden, I noticed the high trees that served as a natural fence of nature covering miles beyond my sight. “So far away from civilization, and the sane” I whispered. Snow covered the entire garden and forest. It was utterly beautiful and nothing compared to the old orphanage in the middle of the city. Never the less, winter brought Christmas, a holiday we all shared in joy. However now only two of us were left, and declared insane. Hopelessly alone, together in this asylum, called Forest Hill.

I sighed as the sun started to descend little by little behind the snow covered trees.  I could hear footsteps approaching in the hall. Judging from the sound and weight of the footsteps, it was Ace.  With food, since I heard cutlery slide over the plastic plateau.  “I have been here too long.” I muttered to myself as I hopped down. Food meant it was around 06:00PM. Being clock-less meant, I had to make a mental note of the remaining hours as 03:00AM was creeping closer. A small nap after my dinner seemed to fit just fine, in that time frame. 

Ace opened the hatch and pushed my tray slowly through the small opening. “Eat up Lexie, not the best, but it’s food.” I grabbed the tray and placed it on my small table with its accompanied plain white plastic chair. “Not done yet Lexie” Ace said as he shook a little plastic cup with my new medication. “Yeah yeah, I know the drill Ace …” I grunted as I walked to the door with my plastic cup filled with water. “In front of the glass darling” Ace instructed. Gruntingly I took the little plastic container and poured the pills in my mouth, taking a big gulp of water. Opening my mouth wide, moving my tongue from one side to the next. “That’s my Lexie!” Ace said as he walked back down the hall.  I then spit the two pills back into my hand. “Too easy” I said with a smile.

I walked back to my tray and sat down in my very, very uncomfortable chair. You would think at least that the designers would include some kind of plastic cushioning. I kept wondering if the creators of this horrible contraption actually bothered to test what they designed.  My criticism didn’t stop while I ate part of my sandwich and crushed my pills into the yogurt.  Ace came back half an hour later to pick up my tray as usual protocol demanded.

 “How is Seth?” I asked, as I slid my tray through the small door opening. “He’s worried about you Lexie. You’re like a little sister to him. He was looking so miserable you know. With the whole not knowing what happened, so I gave him the down-lo about your little episode. He understands darling and awaits your return to the normal wing.” He explained and then he was off. Normal wing, Ha, don’t make me laugh. Because as far as me and Seth were concerned, we were the only two normal people on that floor.

I slouched to my window sill in procrastination of my inevitable little nap. I hopped onto my pillow and made myself comfortable. Staring at the fading sun, it vanished slowly more and more from view.  The icy wind picked up outside of my window, and I could have sworn that I had heard some small bells ringing. I scanned the area and saw nothing. “Okay crazy woman, time for that nap” I mumbled. Then I heard it again, a faint lullaby of tiny bells. I gazed outside my window and my little ledge lit up in small dark blue and tiny white stars. The little lullaby bells kept ringing as a little ice sculpture appeared outside on my window ledge. I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was unimaginably beautiful.

A crystallized lotus bud had formed right in front of my eyes. It bloomed open just as the last light of the day colored its pedals. I stared at the flower, as it turned from rainbow colors to purple to icy blue.  I’m not sure how long I stared at the lotus, or when I drifted off to sleep but I remember being completely at peace. The bells carrying me away, like a mother’s lullaby. 

A very loud tick against the window woke me up in the middle of the night. I gazed outside sleep drunk, looking for a very dumb and very dead bird that had flown against it. Then I noticed something unusual stuck right in the middle of my window. There was a long sparkling dark blue feather with silvery tips.  I placed my hand against the icy glass, trying to get a better look at this beautiful long, very long feather. “That’s one special peacock.” I commented. I had absolutely no idea, to what creature this feather could possible belong. 

A dulled scream crawled under my door. Soft but shrilling as it came all the way, from far away down the hall. “Seth!” I gasped.

_______________________________________________________