Dear Fred, Love Harry

Dear Fred,

Ron told me of the letters his family are writing to you, to help them cope and deal with your passing, well rather he gave out about it, a lot. He got so annoying that Molly almost lost her temper with him, almost. I haven't heard her raise her voice since it all happened. Arthur claims he goes to work each day but he does not, Percy told me so. We haven't told anyone about this but we have decided to ask him about it soon.
I don't really know why I am sitting down to write this to you, I am not family, but it seems to have really helped Ginny. She is really struggling Fred I am so worried for her. She doesn't eat, at dinner she always slips her food to me and I say nothing. I know I should, I know it is not healthy for her not to be eating but she is so fragile at the minute. Maybe if I give her time she will start to have an appetite again.
The only way she will sleep is if I am with her and even then its only an hour or two a night. She insists on presenting a strong front to her family but they see right through her.
Behind closed doors she is a wreck, though she will never admit it to anyone but me and George perhaps. However far she has strayed from the rest of her family her and George have become closer than ever. The time she doesn't spend with me she spends with him, locked up in her room.
She hasn't so much as looked at a broom since your passing, she made a big step the other day, she put her Holyhead Harpies poster back up on the wall. She stared at it for hours, it is so hard to see her this way, especially since it was my fault.
All of this is my fault, if I had just...I don't even know anymore. Every day millions of thoughts run through my head of how I could have prevented this, how I could have stopped the death and destruction. Your family left torn apart, baby's left orphaned, parents loosing their children in a battle that was not theirs to fight.
It was mine to fight Fred and by letting so many die it feels like I have failed, but most of all I have failed her, Ginny. I let her family be torn apart, all because of me and there is not one reason I can think of that would have stopped it. It was my fault, is my fault, I know it is I just haven't figured out the reason why yet.
So many people lost their lives to protect me and it always seems to be the people closest to me that get burned the most. If I could trade your life for mine, you would be standing here right now. If I could trade my life to bring back everyone who has died for me, I would in a second, they did not deserve to die, I did not deserve for them to die for me. I am not special, I am cursed.
Most of all I do miss you Fred, although you may have just thought I thought of you as Ron's older brother I did not. You were a good friend to me. You did not treat me differently like everybody else always did, you treated me as you treated everyone else and to me that was the greatest gift I could have ever been given. You did not deserve to die the way you did. I still remember the moment you died. You were laughing with Percy, a joke about his job you said "You actually are joking Perce...I don't think I've heard you joke since you were..." and then the air exploded, rock and rubble were thrown in all directions as we were all sent hurtling into the air.
I remember darkness, pain and screaming, lots and lots of screaming. the cries were worse than those heard from people under the cruciatus curse. It was the most frightened I had ever been at that very moment. I remember standing, I remember swaying as I made my way over to you and when I seen your face it was like I had been duncked into a basin of ice cold water, it felt as though i had been cut all over my body and my blood was spilling out. Your eyes stared up at me without seeing, the ghost of your last laugh still etched upon your face.
Percy craddled you as Ron sobbed. I remember the death eaters coming for us, having to drag Percy off your body, having to hide you while we continued fighting, having to console Ron, to convince him that fighting was more important, that winning was more important. It should never have ended that way Fred, not for you. I know that Percy and Ron do not speak about what happened, I doubt they even wrote about it in their letters because I do not think it is possible for them to ever get over it.
I hope you are happy where ever you have ended up and I swear that I will forever be greatful for your sacrifice. I also promise that I will take care of your family and I will protect Ginny with my life. I will never let anything happen to her, ever.

Love Harry