Dear Fred, Love Minerva

Dear Fred,

Wow, me writing a letter to a Weasley that isn't about behaviour or how many detentions they have gotten in a week, my how times have changed. Hermione and I still keep in touch and she tells me how your family is coping when I inquire. She recently told me of Percys idea to write you a letter, she gave me numerous reasons as to why it helps and I thought why not give it a go.
I never thought I would be writing a letter you would not see Fred, maybe one your parents wouldn't see, yes I know about those I have taught long before you were born boy.
I thought I'd be seeing you some day in the far future as I was walking down Diagon Ally, I thought I'd see you through your shop window and despite having dealt with your incessant pranks for seven years I would go in and you and George would be there trying to sell some poor child a case of Puking Pastilles. I would see some students of mine there and I would give them stern looks and eye what they were buying so I'd know what lay in store for me the next school year.
You and George would spot me and tell me to lighten up and of course since the two of you aren't my students anymore you'd insist on calling me Minerva more than necessary because you know it would annoy me. You'd try to sell me numerous things and I would buy one just to show my support.
I visit the joke shop from time to time, hoping to see George, hoping to talk to him because I truly know the pain he must be feeling. In the seven years that you were both in my care I seldom seen one without the other so for him to loose that must be devastating.
I know people say I don't have children so I can't possibly understand what it feels like to love one or loose one, that is untrue. All the children in my care, all the children I teach, they are my children. Even after they leave the walls of the castle they are still my children. I cared for you for seven years of your life, I made sure you were safe, I kept you out of as much trouble as I possibly could but I still couldn't protect you when you needed it most, that goes for all the children we lost that day. I know I cannot feel responsible for all their deaths but I do. They trusted me to take care of them, their parents trusted me and I betrayed that trust by letting them die, by letting you die.
It always seems the students I become the closest with, the students who become the most comfortable with me, always seem to die too early.
I had a group of students years ago, I believe you knew of them. They were the most trouble making students I had ever had until you and George came along. The funny thing is there was four of them and only two of you. If you see them, can you tell them I'm sorry. I don't know exactly how the after life works but I hope you will see them because I know they will take care of you.
I doubt you will be the last prankster to roam the Hogwarts halls Fred Weasley but you will always be the most mischievous.

Love Minerva