Chapter XV

After a long journey, the Storm Hawks reached Terra Nord where Starling and the Sky Knight remnant were hiding out. As the Condor landed, the Storm Hawks couldn't believe the conditions the Sky Knights were living.

Finn: Jeez. Starling wasn't kidding when she said they were on their last legs.

Piper: Just look at what we've been reduced to. Not even Cyclonis made it this bad.

Aerrow: All the more reason for us to stop Thrawn. Once we stop Thrawn, we'll rebuild.

As Aerrow said this, they were greeted by a tired and weary Starling.

Starling: Welcome to Terra Nord: possibly the last Sky Knight stronghold in all of Atmos. We're the last of the Sky Knights. 

Aerrow: I knew the situation was bad, but I didn't think it was this bad. 

Starling: It worse than you imagine. Thrawn attacked us without warning. Before we realized, Thrawn and his forces had us outnumbered and outmatched.

Piper knew exactly what Starling was talking about. She looked around and could feel the sense of hopelessness in the air. It seemed like they were refugees. The effects of Thrawn's war proved devastating. 

Aerrow: Where's the Sky Council? 

Starling: Most of them were captured when Atmosia fell. Aegis was the only one who managed to escape. 

Junko: How did it get this bad? 

Starling: We honestly don't know. He just...he just appeared out of nowhere. He attacked without hesitation and his tactics were without flaws. I've never seen anyone like this. Not even Cyclonis's best generals had this level of tactical prowess. 

Piper: It's much worse than that. Thrawn seems to be able to figure out someone's strategy and tactics just by studying a culture's art.

Aerrow: We had some run ins with Thrawn. He's every bit as dangerous as you say. 

Starling: Then we have much to discuss. I'm sure Aegis will be eager to form up a plan. 

Meanwhile, the Chimera and the Cyclonian Fleet was closing in on Terra Nord as it followed the tracker placed on the Condor. As the fleet formed up around the Chimera, Thrawn noticed the tracker stopping at Terra Nord. 

Thrawn: Count Ulric, order the fleet to standby and form a blockade around Terra Nord. But make sure they stay out of sight, we don't want to alert the Sky Knights that we are coming. 

Count Ulric: If I recall correctly, Terra Nord is a frozen wasteland. Hardly the place for a refuge.

Thrawn: Yet it is the only place in Atmos that can offer them sanctuary. It's harsh and unforgiving environment makes for the perfect place to hideout. 

Thrawn then pulls up a holographic map of Terra Nord. What he saw was an arctic landscape with frozen mountains, glaciers and plains. He began laying out his approach for the attack. 

Thrawn: Quite the clever place to set up a sanctuary. The frozen landscape makes a conventional invasion rather difficult. That is why we will implement the unorthodox. How is our supply of Burner Crystals?

Count Ulric: Substantial, Grand Admiral. 

Thrawn: Good. Inform the troops to equip Burner Crystals into their weaponry as well as their armor. If we are to invade Terra Nord, we must be properly equipped. 

Count Ulric: Couldn't we order an orbital bombardment?

Thrawn: That is what they'll expect us to do the moment we launch an invasion. Though we have numbers on our side, we must not underestimate our opponents. The Storm Hawks have the habit of making the impossible possible. On no fewer than four occasions I told Master Cyclonis that I would not waste her troops and ships attacking an enemy which I was not yet prepared to defeat. Despite her young age, Master Cyclonis proved to be an effective leader worthy of my respect. 

Count Ulric: I understand, Grand Admiral. What is our plan of attack?

Thrawn: The blockade will keep any Sky Knights from escaping. I have sent Darod and his clan into Terra Nord to provide reconnaissance where they will map out our enemy's position. Once we receive our intel, we will send in the first wave of troops. 

Count Ulric: What of the Storm Hawks?

Thrawn: They won't leave. Their sense of justice won't allow them to abandon their fellow Sky Knights even in the face of annihilation. We will use that to our advantage. There will be no escape for them this time. Once Terra Nord falls, there will be no place in Atmos for the Sky Knights to hide.

As Thrawn said this, the Cyclonian Fleet formed a blockade around Terra Nord. The Storm Hawks as well as the Sky Knights remnant were unaware of what was going on. 

Thrawn: Leadership and obedience are the two legs on which a warrior's life is balanced. Without both, victory cannot be achieved. Leadership depends on information and comprehension. Not so obedience. Sometimes a commander may choose to share details of his plan. Often he may not. In either case, obedience must be instant and complete. Such automatic response relies on trust between commander and those commanded. And that trust can only be obtained through leadership. There are things in the universe that are simply and purely evil. A warrior does not seek to understand them, or to compromise with them. He seeks only to obliterate them. That is our lot in life. Once the war ends, order shall be restored. 

In that moment, Thrawn prepared for battle as the Cyclonian Fleet surrounded Terra Nord. The Fleet would wait for Thrawn's orders to give the order to attack. Thrawn would patiently wait for the opportune moment to launch his invasion.