Chapter XIII

As Thrawn gave Aerrow his ultimatum, Piper was brought into the room by two Talon Commandos. Seeing Piper all right brought joy to Aerrow. The joy was short lived as Thrawn reiterated his ultimatum. 

Thrawn: Lives hang in the balance, Aerrow. Will you listen to reason or will you continue to be guided by your pride?

As Aerrow thought about Thrawn's ultimatum, he turned his gaze to Piper. Aerrow knew that any attempt to rescue Piper could be extremely dangerous for both of them. Aerrow then turned to Thrawn. 

Aerrow: There's clearly a lot you don't know about me, Thrawn. If you truly know me, then you should know that I would never let Atmos fall into the hands of a tyrant! 

Thrawn: I suggest you think this carefully, Aerrow. Your decision will have dire consequences. Are you truly willing to risk the lives of every being on Atmos just to defeat me?

Aerrow smirked at Thrawn. 

Aerrow: You've clearly underestimated me, Grand Admiral! I'm a Sky Knight and I'll fight till my last breath!

Aerrow then charges at Thrawn and attacks him, but Thrawn easily parries his attacks. Thrawn got into a combat stance.

Thrawn: That was unwise, Aerrow. 

Thrawn and Aerrow then fought in an intense fistfight. Piper took the opportunity to attack the two Talon Commandos and knock them out. Piper soon joined the fight, but Thrawn easily overpowers the both of them. 

Thrawn: Concentration, focus, long-term thinking--those are the qualities that separate a warrior from a mere flailing fighter. Which are you?

Aerrow and Piper then coordinate an attack on Thrawn, but Thrawn proved too skilled for them. They had never faced a fighter so skilled before. His fighting ability surpassed those of powerful warriors like Dark Ace or Repton of the Raptors. As Thrawn bested them in single combat, Aerrow and Piper were backed into a wall. 

Thrawn: Attacking me in my own capital ship was a grave mistake. The insanity of men and aliens who have learned the hard way that they can't match me face-to-face. And so they attempt to use my own tactical skill and insight against me. They pretend to walk into my trap, gambling that I'll notice the subtlety of their movements and interpret that as genuine intent. And while I then congratulate myself on my perception they prepare their actual attack. 

Aerrow: Let me tell you something, Thrawn. You may think you have us cornered, but I got my own plans. 

Aerrow then pulled out two plasma grenades and tossed them at Thrawn. Thrawn takes cover behind his desk as the grenades explode. Aerrow and Piper then use the chaos to make their escape. As the fire dies down, Thrawn contacts Count Ulric. 

Thrawn: Count Ulric. Shut down all hanger bays on the Chimera. The Storm Hawks will be attempting to make a daring escape. 

With that, the Chimera was on high alert. Every Cyclonian on board was aware of Aerrow and Piper's attempted escape. Knowing they couldn't fight their way out, Aerrow and Piper attempt to use stealth to make their way back to the Condor. Meanwhile on the Condor, the Chimera's alarms alert the remaining Storm Hawks inside. 

Finn: Looks like Aerrow stirred up the hornet's nest! Those Cyclonian bozos are probably gonna be all over us!

As Finn and the rest of the Storm Hawks prepared the Condor to make their escape, Thrawn assembled a search team which included the Raptor assassin Darod. 

Thrawn: Darod. Have your men search hanger boys one and two. I will make my way to the Condor. That is their only guaranteed method of escape. 

Darod followed Thrawn's instructions as he took a squadron of Talon Commandos to hangers one and two. Meanwhile, Aerrow and Piper continued to stealthy navigate through the Chimera.

Aerrow: We're almost there, Piper! The Condor shouldn't be too far!

Piper: We have to be careful, Aerrow. Thrawn isn't like anything we've ever faced.

Aerrow: That won't stop us!

Aerrow and Piper continued navigating through the Chimera while avoiding the Talon Commandos. Surprisingly, they found no one near the Condor.

Aerrow: Looks like we made it just in time! Let's get out of here before they find us!

Aerrow and Piper soon boarded the Condor. As soon as they did, the Condor took off. As soon as they exited the hanger, the Chimera's guns began firing on the Condor, but the Condor managed to escape without a problem. On the bridge of the Chimera, Thrawn and Count Ulric watched as the Condor made it's escape.

Count Ulric: They got away.

Thrawn: Then our gamble paid off. Is the tracker online?

Count Ulric: Yes, Grand Admiral. The tracker is fully operational. Your diversion worked.

Thrawn: I knew Aerrow would never accept any demands that involve subjugation. His sense of justice would never allow such a thing.

Count Ulric: What now?

Thrawn: Now we wait. The Storm Hawks will lead us to whatever Sky Knight leaders remain to oppose us. The Storm Hawks know they're outmatched. They will try to seek allies to aid them. Once we see an opportunity, we will deal the fatal blow in one masterful stroke.

With that, Thrawn had laid out his gamble. He allowed the Storm Hawks to escape him in order to root out any remaining resistance leaders. For now, all Thrawn could do was wait patiently and plan his next attack accordingly.