Chapter 35

Luke's POV

Lay and Calum both stared at me confusedly as I switched in my spot. I scratched the back of my head and looked at the floor, my mind wildly racing. What am I gonna do now?!

"I knew it!" Calum laughed loudly which made me look at him. He was smiling widely. "You're in love with her!"

My eyes widened and I immediately looked at Lay. She was staring at me as well, a shocked expression on her face. It probably resembled mine.

"I- You- Calum, you should leave." I stuttered, pointing to our entrance door and then glaring at Calum.

Calum put his hands in the air in defensive manner and started walking. "Going, going. Sorry." He mumbled, still smiling. When he was gone, Lay and I stayed standing in our spots in the hallway.

"What was that all about?" Lay asked quietly and I looked at her. Her big hazel brown eyes were examining me intently and I felt exposed. I looked at the floor and walked to the living room.

"Nothing." Mumbling, I sat on the couch and looked at the movie that was playing.

I heard Lay jog towards the living room as well and then jump on the couch next to me.

"Luke." She exhaled and I looked at her. I didn't know what to tell her. I was as clueless as she was. I let out a sigh and Lay made a face as she started sniffing the air.

"Did you smoke?" She then asked confusedly, making me widen my eyes.

I felt horrible. She thought I was doing so well and now I've let her down. I just had to light up that cigarette.

"I'm so confused." I admitted, propping my forehead on my palm. I turned towards her so we were facing each other. Clenching my eyelids, I rubbed my palm in my face in a manner of nervousness and let out another sigh.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" I felt Lay put her hand on top of my head and rummage through my hair. I felt like smiling at the action but I stopped myself.

"I'm not in the mood." I disagreed, still having my eyes shut.

"Come on," Lay took my hands in hers which made me pick my head up. "Maybe you'll forget about what's bothering you and have fun."

That's impossible since she's the one that's bothering me.

But when I saw her innocent expression and when she wrinkled her nose in a excited manner, I knew I've already given in. I smiled.

"What's funny?" she asked, her bottom lip popping out just the tiniest bit which made her even more adorable.

"Nothing." I shook my head and stood up. "Okay, so where are we going?" I asked, reaching in my pocket and taking out the box of cigarettes. I threw it onto the kitchen counter.

I don't want to see that anymore.

Lay followed me and smiled as she looked at the box of the cigarettes that I'd thrown to the counter seconds ago. She must've figured I'm not taking it out with us.

"I was thinking maybe we could pick up Chloe from Anna's and go for a walk." Lay fumbled her fingers nervously as if she was anxious about what I was going to say. An idea popped in my mind.

"That's great! We can take her to my playground." I chimed excitedly and ran to Lay's bedroom to take her coat. "Put your shoes on!" I yelled and then jogged back to hurry her into putting on her coat.

"Luke, we've got the whole evening!" Lay chuckled.

"No we don't. Chloe is going to be tired because she's little and it's already past 8." I rambled quickly as I practically pushed her through the door and locked behind us.