Chapter 10

I tried spending the rest of the Sunday avoiding or at least not talking to Luke. After yesterday I felt uncomfortable knowing his "hobbies".

But, it was impossible since he was bugging me every five seconds about going with him to visit some playground that he for some reason wanted to show me. And eventually, I gave in; partly because I was on the edge of nerves and partly because seeing him that excited and childish about it made me somehow want to go.

I put on my scarf, beanie and my coat so I don't get cold since the weather today wasn't as warm. Luke said we don't need to take the car because it's not far.

Not far my ass.

We've been walking for over an hour and the only thing I regretted was not taking gloves. I didn't feel my fingers, even in the pockets of my coat.

"You and I have really different definions of 'not far'" I gave Luke an accusing look and rubbed my fingers together in front of my mouth trying to warm them up.

"It's right behind the corner" Luke defended and we walked past the corner of an oldish building. There was a small park and a small playground. There was a washed out red slide, a table (for ping-pong?) and two swings. Not much of a playground.

"Finally" I exhaled and ran to the swing to sit down and rest. I heard Luke chuckle behind me.

"I walked all this way for this?" I asked and looked around the place. It was old and looked like no one used it anymore. The slide had red paint peeling off of its sides and the swings gave out a screechy noise when you sat on them.

Luke nodded proudly, smiling at me from ear to ear. He looked so innocent, like a little happy boy. It made me forget about all the problems he causes.

We were slightly swinging back and forth, the expected silence between us not being awkward anymore; just comfortable.

Just when I was about to suggest we should go find some place with hot coffee or tea, Luke jumped off the swing.

"Mrs. Clifford!!" Luke yelled still running towards her like she's his long lost sister.

"Luke? Is that you?" the lady seemed to peek through her clenched eyelids trying to get a clearer picture of the long legged blue haired and blue eyed boy hysterically running towards her.

"Hey!" Luke finally stood in front of her taking her in a huge bear hug. The lady looked really small compared to Luke, but that's not surprising since Luke is a teenage giant.

What was surprising is Luke hugging her, and getting so excited about seeing her. I think I've never seen him so happy about seeing a person. The only time I've seen him touchy-feely is when he was wasted and clumsily hugged me. But he certainly wasn't that happy hugging me as he is hugging that lady there.

They talked a bit and I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I assumed it was the regular stuff. The how are you's and how have you been's.

Few minutes after Luke jogged back to me, smiling like an adorable idiot. The huge smile gave out a dimple on his cheek and I couldn't help but smile as well.

He sat back down on the swing next to me and exhaled.

"Who was that?" I asked, still smiling.

"My old neighbor I used to live next to." he looked at me and I saw a sparkle in his eyes. "She was like my second mum." he continued, his lips curling at their corners yet once again and accidentally tugging at his lip ring.

"Oh." I whispered, letting him know I understood.

"Okay, we can go now if you're cold." Luke spoke and stood up from the swing, walking in front of me and putting his hands in front of him for me to take. I grabbed both of his hands and stood up from the swing, brushing the invisible dust off of my coat.