Chapter 22

George POV

"Listen, I'm gonna go to the bathroom", she had said. I had heard the panic in her voice. I wasn't sure what made her leave so quickly and why she needed her wand to go pee. At first I had ignored it, but it had been almost 20 minutes now. Nobody takes 20 minutes and their wand to pee. "Hey, I'm gonna go check on Y/N, okay?", I said not waiting for an answer from my friends. I walked a few steps towards the exit but then turned back around. "Just... don't do anything stupid", I told them as they both were wasted by now. I left the great hall and found a dark corner in the hallway.

I pulled out my wand and the Marauderers Map. "I solemnly swear, that I am up to no good", I muttered and watched the ink spread. It took me a moment to find Y/N. The astronomy tower. Merlin, why was she up there? If I hadn't know that she was sober, I would have assumed the worst. The hallways were completely empty. Everyone was in the great hall dancing and having fun. Everyone but Y/N. Walking through the castle I noticed why the first years were always afraid of being out at night. I did get a bit of a spooky feeling but my mind was elsewhere. I looked at the map again. She hadn't moved. I wondered what she might be doing up there.

I stopped in front of the staircase leading up the tower. Touching the map with my wand I said "Mischief managed". The lines faded away. I put the map together with my wand back in the pocket of my robe. I took a breath and went up the stairs. The door at the top was heavy but didn't make a sound when I opened it. Before I could enter I saw her leaning on the railing.

The sight of her was unlike anything I had ever seen. She was stargazing. The way her y/h/c hair fell on her shoulder and slightly reflected the moonlight made me want to never look away. She looked absolutely magical. She was too deep in her thoughts to notice me. I admired her for a bit longer then properly entered the room.

Once I stood next to her I said "I don't know what the girls bathrooms look like, but I'm pretty sure that's not one". She jumped at my comment but visibly relaxed as soon as she recognized me. "Oh, it's just you", Y/N said and turned back to the sky. I leaned onto the railing and looked outside as well. There was a comfortable silence, both of us watching the stars. "What are you doing up here?", I asked without looking at her "I wanted to be alone for a bit", she answered. Crap, was I bothering her? "Do you want me to leave?", I asked slowly. "No", she said and turned to me. I could see in her eyes that she was tipsy just like me. "Please stay"

We both turned back to the sky. The view really was something. I could see the stars so clearly and even recognized a few constellations I had heard about in our astronomy classes. "Can I ask you a question?", I said after a while. "Sure", Y/N answered. "Why did you leave so abruptly? And why did you need your wand?", I inquired. She looked at me and sighed "Well, I guess you already know", she said more to herself than to me. "I needed to renew the spell that hides my scars." She looked embarrassed. "Where did you get those from?". The question left my mouth before I could stop it. She flinched and took a step back. It must have been a traumatic experience. "I'm sorry. You don't need to say anything", I apologized. I hated how I had obviously made her feel bad.

We went back to both silently staring outside. It still wasn't awkward. She seemed to enjoy my company which made me happy. I looked at her again. I was mesmerized my her beauty. How the moonlight made her skin glow and her y/e/c eyes shine. Not to mention how stunning she looked in that ball gown.

"Y/N? Have I told you how beautiful you look?", I whispered. She snickered. "No, you haven't". "Well, then. You look beautiful. I mean it", I told her honestly. She giggled again. "George, I-", she said as she turned to me once again and all common senses left me. I cut her off by placing my lips onto hers.

My hands found their way to her waist and my eyes fluttered shut. She was clearly taken aback but soon reciprocated the kiss. Her arms wrapped around my neck and she started playing with my hair. I melted into the kiss. The feeling was amazing. My heart felt like it was going to hop out of my chest at any moment. Surely she could feel my heartbeat as our bodies were pressed against each other. I could think of nothing but her. And how amazing she was.

After what felt like an eternity, we pulled away. She was smiling sadly. Had I done something wrong? Did she not like it? I didn't even know why I did it. "Y/N, I...", I started but she was already walking away and left me standing there alone. Why did she leave? She probably hated me now. 'Great job George. You just ruined our friendship and anything else it could have become' I thought to myself. 'How do I fix this?'

I made my way back to the great hall. On my way I saw Dean and Seamus talking in the hallway. Their talking soon turned into snogging. They both looked happy as I passed them. For a moment Dean and I locked eyes. I winked and smiled. At least those two had fun tonight. I quickly left to give them some privacy. Walking down the stairs to the hall, a crying Hermione stormed past me. I looked after her confused. My eyes fell on my youngest brother and his best friend. "What did you do, Ronald?", I asked him. "Nothing", he shrugged. "And why do you always think it's me?" I shook my head "That didn't seem like nothing" But before he could retort I stepped into the great hall.

A considerable amount of people had already left. It was almost curfew after all, even though Dumbledore had extended it to midnight. I wondered why, since Sirius Black had found a way into the castle before. My eyes searched the room for my twin brother and his girlfriend. They were animatedly talking to Madam Hooch. That couldn't be good.

"... So it wasn't fair! Slytherin should have lost!", Angelina complained drunkenly. Fred was nodding vigorously. "Hello there. Whatever you were discussing, stop. You two need to sober up", I chimed in as I reached the group. Angelina pouted and Fred opened his mouth to say something. I could smell the alcohol in his breath. "No 'but's! Stop bothering Madam Hooch and come with me.", stopped him before he could make a sound. "Thank you, Mr. Weasley. Five points to Gryffindor for taking care of you friends instead of enjoying the evening", she said and winked at me. I smiled and grabbed Fred and Angelina.

Annoyed I entered the empty common room and dragged my brother and Angelina across it. "Y/N!", she suddenly screamed. I hadn't even noticed her standing on the stairs to the girls dorms. She stared at us for a moment, then she realized what was going on. "Too much fire whiskey, huh?", she said to Angelina as she hurried to us. Fred laughed. At least he wasn't as vocal as his girlfriend. "Let's bring them both to my dorm. He can sleep in there tonight.", she explained. I noticed streaks of dried tears on her cheeks. Fuck, had she cried because of me? I simply said "Okay" and we dragged them to her dorm.

"Okay, there you go", I said as I led Fred to Y/N's bed. "Now both get out of your ball outfit. You're not sleeping with that on", Y/N commanded and left the room. "And nothing dirty! You're staying in separate beds!", I said as I closed the door. Y/N was gone. Wait, if Fred would sleep in her bed, where would she spend the night? I walked down the stairs. Luckily I caught Y/N before she could get out of the common room. "Y/N! Where are you going?", I shouted. "To the room of requirement", she said without turning around. "You can sleep in my dorm if you'd like", I offered her. She thought for a moment then said "No thanks, George. I'll be fine". And with that, she left me standing there alone for the second time that night.