Chapter 30

With Sirius on my heels I ran after Lupin. Unfortunately he was a lot faster then us so we soon lost him in the forest. 'Let's split up so we can cover more ground. Just scream when you find him', he barked and ran away before I could tell him how stupid his idea was. I shook my wolf head and headed in the opposite direction.

It didn't take long for me to find him. He crept through the forest as if to look for something or someone, presumably the person who had howled. I was about to charge at him and lure him to the Shrieking Shack, but then he found his target. And to my horror his two targets were named Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. How on earth did they get here? Weren't they at the Whomping Willow a minute earlier?

I didn't have time to think further as Lupin approached the two, growling dangerously. I couldn't let him hurt them. I ran at him and positioned myself between the students and the teacher. A look of surprise flashed through his eyes but instantly returned to one full of rage.

'Professor, you don't have to do this. They are innocent', I howled, trying to reach the caring professor that I knew was in there somewhere. No luck. I just received an angry howl back. I tried again to calm him down, not moving away from my friends. I didn't even dare to look at them. Still nothing.

'Professor, please. They have done nothi-' I was cut of by his claw hitting my arm. Instinctively I took a step away from Lupin, exposing Harry and Hermione to the beast. He took his opportunity and raised his claw yet again, his mind set on injuring them. I couldn't let that happen.

I let the wolf in me take over and attacked his side. He stepped back and focused his attention towards me. Soon enough we were fighting, me mainly dodging his attacks as I didn't actually want to hurt him. The night of the September full moon flashed through my mind. This was a similar situation, but so different at the same time.

I noticed that Hermione and Harry were frozen on the spot watching the fight in shock. I wished I had my normal voice, then I could scream "Run and don't turn around". But they wouldn't understand my howling. But there was a thing that they would understand. I dodged another one of Lupins attacks.

As he stumbled past me I turned to my friends and flicked my head towards the castle, telling them to leave. Harry stared at me, confused and scared. I couldn't blame him. Hermione on the other hand did understand.

Her expression changed to one of realization as she put the pieces together and recognized who I was. "Y/N?", she asked in disbelief. Harrys confusion intensified. He didn't know that I was a werewolf, but that was the last of my worries right now.

Suddenly I felt a sharp, intense pain in my back. I winced and fell to the ground. Lupin had come up behind me and dragged his claws down my back, tearing the skin open. I felt the blood running down to my legs and finally dripping on the ground. I looked up to see him attacking Harry and Hermione again. I wanted nothing more than to get up and stop him, but my body wouldn't let me. Every movement caused incredible pain in my back.

But I didn't need to protect them, another creature screeched at him and took my place. I recognized it as a familiar Hippogriff. Buckbeak? How was that possible? Wasn't he supposed to be executed? Hermione must have found a way to save him.

He stood on two legs and raised his talons at the professor. Buckbeak attacked him, hitting his face. Finally Lupin retreated, turning on the spot and running deeper into the forest. I let out a sigh of relieve.

"Y/N!", I heard Hermione scream. She dropped to her knees beside me, Harry following her. I tried to stand up again but fell back to the ground with a howl of pain. "She's also a werewolf?", Harry asked with no disgust or anger in his voice. Hermione nodded with tears in her eyes.

A loud pained bark emerged from the forest, causing our heads to snap to the direction it came from. Sirius! Shit, Lupin must have gotten to him. Harry looked back and forth between me and the forest, unsure whether he should stay or help him. Under immense pain I gestured him to go save his godfather, I would be fine. Madam Pomfrey would find me and patch me back up, right?

The last thing I saw before becoming unconscious was Harry and Hermione sprinting to go save Sirius. Then everything went black.

I woke up in the hospital wing, face in my pillow. I was laying face down in the separated bed. I tried to turn around but a sharp pain in my back reminded me of the events at night. Trying to remember more I slipped back into a dreamless sleep.

The second time I woke up, I was still laying on my stomach. But this time I felt someone holding my hand. I turned to see who it was. The pain wasn't as intense as before but was still there. I groaned at the movement but quickly silenced myself.

George sat on a chair next to my bed, holding my hand and sleeping. His head laid on my bed. I couldn't help but smile at how peaceful he looked. If he was awake he would certainly be the furthest thing from peaceful, so I let him sleep. I watched him for some time.

Eventually Madam Pomfrey came in to check on me. "Y/N! You're awake thank Merlin. We already feared you wouldn't wake up", she sighed. "No, no. You're not getting rid of me that easily", I said and sat up. Madam Pomfrey laughed in relieve causing George to wake up as well.

"Y/N", he practically screamed, tears in his eyes "Don't ever do that again, you hear me? I thought I lost you" His hand squeezed mine. "I'll try not to", I said smiling weakly. I looked into his worry filled eyes and time seemed to slow down for a moment.

"Mr. Weasley, I understand that you care for your girlfriend but what she needs is rest. So I need you to giver her some space to properly heal", Madam Pomfrey chimed in. George seemed like he wanted to protest, but knew better not to.

After George had left, Madam Pomfrey had me drink an assortment of potions, most of them tasting like goblin piss. I drank them all and after a couple hours I felt better. I could now move freely, though any movement that involved my back still hurt but I could handle that.

"Okay, one last spell and then you can leave", the nurse said. I nodded and waited for her to begin. "I'll need you to take your shirt off and lay on your stomach so I can get to your back", she instructed. "How long was I out?", I asked as I carefully pulled my shirt off and laid down. "Almost a week", she sighed and muttered an incantation I didn't understand.

I felt the magic tickle my skin where I assumed Lupin had hit me. There was absolutely no doubt that there would be huge scars down my back now. "And that's it. That's all I can do. If you experience pain or it starts to bleed again, you come to me in an instant, understood?", she said strictly. I nodded and got up to leave.