Chapter 24

"Soooo... Who wants their present first? They're from George and me", Fred smirked. We sat in our usual spot in front of the fireplace in the common room. A Christmas tree had magically appeared overnight just like every year. "I'll just start with my lovely girlfriend here", he said without waiting for us to answer him, walked over to her and kissed her before handing her her present.

Freds presents weren't all too special. Angelina got a broom care set ("So you score some points against Slytherin in two weeks") and I got a muggle vinyl record ("I actually have no idea if this is a good gift, dad said it was"). I didn't have the heart to tell him that these were outdated or that I didn't have a record player. Instead I thanked him.

"What about George?", I asked. "Doesn't he get a present?" "No, we never get each other something. Our company is present enough", George chuckled. He reached behind the Christmas tree and gave me another wrapped box. From who was that? Angelina would give me hers personally and Moon usually needed a couple days to return from home.

I gave him a questioning look. "It's from our mum. She insisted to send you something too", he said sheepishly. "She shouldn't have! She doesn't even know me", I said as I tore the wrapping off of the box. "Believe me, she does. Someone's been mentioning you in their letters an awful lot recently", Fred smirked at his brother, who just lightly hit him on the shoulder. I opened the box with a blush.

Inside was a card and a neatly folded, knitted jumper. It matched the color of my eyes. I took a look at the card.

Dear Y/N,

Merry Christmas! I hope you have a wonderful time at Hogwarts and congratulations on becoming prefect.

I know my boys are a bunch of troublemakers so please don't be too harsh on them. That being said, they do need to be punished from time to time.

Fred and George have been only telling me good thing about you, so if you'd like, you can come visit us anytime. They both really like you, but don't tell them I said that.

With love,

Molly

I smiled a bit wider with every sentence. Just from these few words I could tell that she was an amazing mother. The jumper was lovely. I pulled it over my head. On the front was a white letter knitted in. It was the first letter of my name. "I love it. Tell her thank you so much and I'd love to meet her some time", I told the twins. They nodded smiling.

Angelina gave all of us a boast load of sweets. She had forgotten to get us gifts, like every year. We were used to it by now and honestly, I didn't mind.

We spent the rest of the day sitting by the fireplace, eating sweets, chatting and playing wizards chess. The twins were better chess players than you'd think. Eventually Harry, Ron and Hermione joined us. We exchanged presents and laughed until it got dark outside.

Angelina was the first to go to bed. All three of the Weasley shortly followed, leaving me, Harry and Hermione. We didn't talk but the silence was a comfortable one. I stared into the flames, lost in my own thought. The scene on the astronomy tower played in my head over and over again.

I still couldn't wrap my head around why he had kissed me. He had been drunk. But not as drunk to do stupid stuff. Did that mean he had just gotten confident enough to do something he might not have done otherwise? And why even me? There were a ton of girls in this school that were more attractive, smarter or funnier than me. He could have every single one of them. I didn't understand it.

"So, what's going on between you and George?", Harry asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. "Nothing", I answered perhaps a bit too quick. He pulled up a brow and Hermione snickered beside me. "What? Nothing is going on", I said. She snickered again, shook her head and explained "Y/N, we've seen the way you look at him. You obviously like him more than as your best friend"

I didn't have an answer to that. She had hit the nail on the head. I knew it was pointless to try and argue with her so I just sighed in defeat. "Is it that obvious?", I sighed, leaning further back in the couch. "Yes", Harry said, Hermione nodding in agreement. I sighed again and explained what had happened the night before.

"Honestly, I have no idea what all that means. Like, why? He could have literally any girl in this castle. And he goes for me? If he knew me just a bit better he would stay away" I shot Hermione a knowing look. Her expression didn't change. Harry on the other hand was confused. "Knew you a little better? What's that supposed to mean? It's not like you're hiding a dark secret or something", he thought out loud.

"Yeah, no, it's time I told you that I'm secretly conducting human experiments in my basement", I tried to hide the shock in my voice with sarcasm. He chuckled. I was glad he didn't ask any follow up questions. They continued to pep talk me and try to get me to tell him how I felt. I sure as hell wasn't going to do that.

Harry went to bed shortly after midnight. Hermione and I didn't say a word for a few minutes. "You're scared he... they are going to hate you, aren't you?", Hermione said gently. I sighed once more and nodded. "It's just.. who would willingly be friends with a werewolf?" I whispered the last word in case someone would hear us. It sounded so wrong yet so right to call myself that.

"I am", Hermione said with furrowed brows. "Yeah, because you're smart and know that I'd never do anything to you guys. The others may not know that. There's a huge stigma surrounding us, remember? I'm not willing to take the risk of losing our friendship", I explained. I didn't think about the words I was saying but I still knew they were exactly how I felt.

Hermione put a reassuring hand on my shoulder and said "They might need some time to process it but I'm sure they would get it eventually. You've been friends with them for over four year now and it's not like you've become... that yesterday. Listen, I know why you want to keep it to yourself but you can't keep it a secret forever. You'll have to tell them eventually. Or do you want them to find out on their own?"

My eyes widened at the thought. If they found out without me telling them, they'd not only hate me for being a werewolf, but also for lying to them for literal years. "No!", I shouted and immediately looked around to see if someone had heard me. There was no one.

"Then tell them! I mean you don't have to do it now, but eventually you'll have to, you know", Hermione told me. I sighed and nodded. Whether I liked it or not, she was right. I did have to tell them. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'm gonna go to bed, it's late", I said as I got up. She did as well and we walked to our dorms. We split when we reached her dorm. "Goodnight, Y/N", she said and disappeared into the room. "Night", I muttered as I walked to mine.

I crawled into my bed and just laid there for a while thinking about the conversation Hermione and I had just had. Eventually, I slipped into a yet again dreamless sleep.