Chapter 29

The next months were uneventful, Sirius hadn't tried to get to Pettigrew again after the last failed attempt. He had gotten into Harrys dorm, and slashed the curtains on Rons bed. Not only did Scabbers escape yet again, Harry was now furious with Sirius as he thought he had tried to kill him. Ron was sad and angry at Hermiones cat, thinking it was Crookshanks that had scared Scabbers, who was now missing once again, away. Hermione in turn was annoyed at her friend for always blaming her pet. It didn't help that she took so many subjects, her classes overlapped, so she was extremely stressed out about the upcoming exams.

On Sunday morning I woke up, feeling better than normal. By the time I had gotten dressed, the good mood had been replaced by an anxious one. My gaze fell onto the calendar. Since Angelina had found out I had marked the full moons on it. I didn't think Catherine Tracker even knew that we had one in our dorm. Today was marked by a small red circle. Today was full moon.

The great hall was already filled with students, even though is was still early. I took my seat between my boyfriend and his twin. "Why the long face?", Fred asked. George shot him a meaningful look. He had for whatever reason decided to learn all the dates of the full moons until the start of the next school year by heart. 'So I can look after you and come visit you after in the summer', was his reasoning.

Freds amused expression changed to a worried one as he realized what day it was. He didn't bring it up anymore for the whole day. George gently held my hand under the table, squeezing it reassuringly. I smiled back. I was grateful for him understanding and looking past me being very easily irritable today. He knew what was up.

A pancake flew through the air, landing in Freds lap and knocking his pumpkin juice over in the process. He looked around for the culprit, identifying them as Neville Longbottom. He had tripped over his own feet and send his breakfast flying all over the Gryffindor table.

Fred being Fred he just had to take a spoon full of beans and flick it right back. Unfortunately Neville ducked in time, the food inevitably landing on the side of Seamus' face. He turned to the ginger and grimaced at him. From across the third year Dean burst into a fit of laughter which was cut off by a piece of toast being flung at his face. Soon enough the three had started a full on food fight, more and more Gryffindors joining in.

By the time I had gotten up to tell them off and possibly giving them detention, our head of the house showed up. "Merlin, has gotten into all of you?", she asked, exasperated. A blur of voices tried to explain themselves, but were silenced by her raising her hand. "Fifty points from Gryffindor. And detention for you Mr. Weasley, Mr. Finnigan and Mr. Thomas. Don't even try, I saw you start the whole thing!", she stated and turned on her heel to leave.

I got up as well trying to leave, the fight having caused be to be annoyed. What a great way to start the day. A hand wrapped around my wrist, stopping me. I turned back, to see George shooting me a questioning look. "I'll go to the library. Need to study and at least it's quiet and the won't be any more waste of food", I said rolling my eyes annoyed. George nodded understandingly. "Do you want me to come with you?", he asked. Cuddling usually calmed my nerves a bit, but right now I just wanted to be alone.

"No, George. Listen, I love you but I just need to be alone a bit", I said. Did I just say 'I love you'? My eyes widened the tiniest bit as I realized I had in fact said those three magic words. A look of surprise flashed across his face, but was quickly replaced by a beaming smile. "Okay, then. Good luck studying and I love you too", he said. A bright smiled formed on my lips. I bent down to give him a quick yet passionate kiss. I then pulled my hand from his and made my way to the library.

I reached for the doorknob but before I touched it the doors to the library opened. Before me stood Harry, Hermione and Ron. "Hi, guys. Why are you so sad?", I asked curiously, noticing the depressed looks on their faces. "Today is Buckbeaks execution", Harry explained lowly. "Buckbeak? As in Hagrids Hippogriff?", I inquired. The librarian, Madam Pince, shushed me from behind them but I ignored her. This was more important.

"Yeah", Ron sighed. He seemed to ignore his and Hermiones quarrel at least for that day. "Remember when Malfoy was a git to him? He told his father about it. And Lucius pulled some strings in the ministry, making them believe that Buckbeak almost killed his son and is too dangerous to be left alive", Hermione asked my unspoken question. Towards the end of her sentence her voice began to shake. But not from sadness as one would expect. No, she was furious. Madam Pince shushed us more annoyed this time, but we swiftly ignored her again.

My mood returned to a bad one. I spent the rest of the day researching for a way to save Buckbeak, all in vain. I didn't even know why I did, Hermione had undoubtedly done exactly that and she hadn't found anything. I hadn't even noticed that it had gotten dark outside, when Professor McGonagall pulled me out of a book on wizarding law.

"There you are Miss Y/L/N! You were supposed to meet me an hour ago! Me and Madam Pomfrey were looking for you!", she said huffing in relieve. Shit, in all the worry about Buckbeak I had completely forgotten what day it was. I quickly shut the book I was reading and put It back in its place on the shelve. "I am so sorry, I got carried away studying", I said as I got up and followed her into her office.

"Come now, come now. Drink the potion, we need to leave!", Madam Pomfrey pressured. I downed the liquid, almost vomiting it back up. We left the castle and entered the forest. As always I got undressed and waited for the moon to come out.

The transformation was as painful as usual, but I managed to distract me by thinking about the food fight in the morning. I ran to the Shrieking Shack, but what I heard on the way made me turn back to the castle.

A wolf howl, clearly belonging to another werewolf. Was there a third one? Or was it Lupin? If so why was he at the castle? I decided to check it out but what I saw made my blood freeze in my veins. Harry, Ron and Hermione stood before the Whomping Willow face to face with a full grown werewolf. Somehow I recognized it as Professor Lupin. What I also realized was that he was out of his mind, certainly not under the influence of a Wolfsbane potion.

I watched as out of nowhere Snape entered the scene. He angrily grabbed Hermione by the front of her hoodie, not having noticed the creature behind him. When he did, he did something unexpected, he shielded the students with his body. Didn't he hate them with a passion?

Luping took some steps towards the potions master, growling dangerously. He raised his claw to strike, but was tackled to the ground by Sirius Black in Animagus form. Where the hell did he come from? Just then I noticed Rons bleeding leg. What had happened to him? At this point I was utterly confused at the sight before me. I had so many questions.

I was pulled out of my thoughts as Sirius winced in pain, Lupins claw having hit his side. Once again he raised his claw to injure his friend. I was ready to charge at him and distract him from the helpless dog, but someone beat me to it. From deep in the forbidden forest a third howl emerged. This one was different. I didn't sound like and actual werewolf, more like someone trying to imitate one. Fake or not it did the job, turning Lupins attention away from Sirius. Unlucky for the imitator, the wolf now sprinted in the direction of the howl.

Sirius was now standing on four legs again and noticed me. A quick exchange of looks told me that we were thinking the same thing. We needed to stop Lupin, so we ran after him.