Epilogue

Oh, Mother above and Cauldron boil me, my head hurt. 

I raised a hand and gently touched my forehead, wincing at the large bump. I blinked a few times, trying to bring the world back into focus. As the fog cleared from my vision, I saw bodies littered all around me. Those of Cassian, Azriel, Tarquin, Kallias... but Rhys, Aelin, and Rowan were missing. 

I shot to my feet without thinking and instantly regretted it. I tumbled back to the ground, but strong arms caught me and pulled me close. 

"Rhys," I gasped, closing my eyes against his armored chest. "What happened? Where-" 

"Deanna knew we were there." He interrupted. He took a moment to continue, his breathing labored. "The Cauldron went off. I winnowed us home..." 

A terrible, horrible realization crept into my mind. "Where's Aelin?" 

There was no answer. I pushed away from him, ignoring my throbbing head. "Rhys, where's Aelin?" 

"I don't know," He said helplessly, meeting my eyes. "When we woke, Rowan was gone, and she refused to leave him. I meant to go back for her, but when I tried, I..." 

His voice broke, and while somewhere in my consciousness I knew he and Aelin hadn't been close, I knew his unwavering loyalty was haunting him in this moment. He'd left her behind. He'd had every intention of going back... 

"Hybern's been warded. It was a trap, Feyre." 

End of Book 1

Feysand art by meabhusd!!

Nothing will ever top the heart-wrenching, scream-inducing cliffhanger that is Empire of Storms, but I like to think I've come at least halfway close, maybe? Mwahaha... I'm so sorry 😭

This ending could have gone two ways, actually. I had originally planned for Feyre to be taken, but... well, now I understand what authors mean when they say their characters won't let them do things. (Not that Feyre is my character, but the version I'm writing is, in a way, I suppose?) Every time I tried to write Feyre being taken, it felt wrong. So I switched to Aelin, and got a marvelous idea....

But for that, you'll have to wait for book 2! :)

Also, friendly reminder: Did ya'll know Tamlin can play the fiddle? A Court of Thorns and Roses, Chapter 19, Page 177, (Or Chapter 25) in case you don't believe me, because to be honest, I had completely forgotten about it myself 😄