Chapter 27: The Goddess

When they returned to Rhys and Feyre's house, Rhys directed Rowan to a spare room downstairs. An older Fae female with dark skin was waiting. Aelin assumed she was Madja the healer. 

The healer took one look at Aelin's legs and smiled reassuringly at her. "Don't worry, I've seen much worse than this." 

Aelin noticed everyone in the room looked at Cassian, who promptly stared straight at the ceiling. But before she could say anything, Rowan was setting her down on the bed, which caused her vision to go spotty. 

"Ow." She muttered. Madja came up beside her, a soft glow coming from her hands as she reached for Aelin's legs. 

"Aelin, what happened?" Feyre asked, sitting in a chair next to the bed. 

"I don't know. Rowan and I were leaving when we both felt something was off. I don't know why I jumped on top of her. Instinct, I suppose." Aelin replied, relaxing as the healer worked on her bones. "What were you doing there?" 

Feyre jerked as if she'd just remembered something. "Damn it!! Drakon!" She shot up and ran out of the room like she'd been stung. 

"Drakon?" Aelin repeated, slightly confused. Rhys sighed, running his fingers through his hair. 

"Drakon is a friend of ours. When the war ended, he and his people were entrusted with the Cauldron's safety." He explained. 

"The Cauldron. The Cauldron that Feyre told us about? The one that broke?" Rowan asked. Rhys nodded. 

"Drakon showed up here not long after you two left. He told us the Cauldron had been stolen." 

"Oh, wonderful," Aelin mumbled, closing her eyes. "I suppose Deanna has something to do with it?" 

"Afraid not." At Rhysand's tone, Aelin looked up again. "Drakon claimed that a woman wreathed in golden flame took it." 

Aelin shot up in the bed, which made Madja tsk loudly and push her back down. 

"I'm not finished." The healer scolded. 

"Mala took the Cauldron?" Aelin demanded, ignoring her. 

"It would appear so." Rhys sighed. A throat cleared at the door, and Aelin glanced over to see Feyre, Mor, and a Fae male she didn't know. He had dark hair and long, white-feathered wings protruding from his back. 

"Drakon, I assume?" She asked. The male nodded at her, then looked at Madja. 

"Thank you for healing my wings." He told her. Madja waved off the thank-you. 

"Just don't fly for a few days, Prince. They need rest." Drakon nodded, then looked back at Aelin. 

"And I assume that you're Aelin Galathynius?" 

Aelin saluted to him. "At your service." 

"You know the one who stole the Cauldron?"

"I'm afraid I do." Aelin sighed. Madja stepped back, looking a little pale. 

"There. You should be alright to walk. But try not to run, or overexert yourself for a few days." The healer told Aelin. She sat up and moved to get off the bed. She'd barely stood up when her right knee buckled, and she caught herself off the bed. 

"I'm fine, I'm fine." She waved Rowan off and settled back onto the bed. "Thank you." She told Madja, who just nodded, then left. Aelin looked back at Drakon. 

"As I was saying, yes. I do know her. She's Mala Lightbringer, the goddess of the sun in my world, and my ancestor." 

Drakon breathed out heavily through his nose. "You know what, I'm not even going to try to understand at this point. What I'd like to know is what the hell is going on." 

Aelin told him the basics, that the gods were coming to Prythian to steal all of the magic and then destroy Aelin's kingdom. Drakon didn't interrupt her, but at the end, he rubbed his temples. 

"Tell me. This Deanna woman. Silver bow, wears a star crown?" 

"Yes," Aelin replied, surprised. "How did you know?"

"She's the one who attacked me on my way here," Drakon replied. Aelin felt as if the room had suddenly gotten colder. 

"So she's here." Feyre finally dared to whisper. "Deanna's in Prythian." 

Art by Elenana.art!

Merry Christmas Eve, people!! :D Have a safe and happy Christmas!!