Chapter 30: The Summer Court

We appeared right outside the palace, just a little ways away from the sea-glass doors. I knew I felt nervous, and I could tell the others did too. 

The doors opened, and Tarquin, Varian, and Cresseida came out and began walking our way. The first person Tarquin looked at was Cassian, who smiled sheepishly at him. 

"You're lucky I'm feeling generous enough to allow you to be here." Tarquin told him. "Mind you, if I find anything broken, even a cracked window, you're out. Got it?" 

"Yup. Got it." Cassian said. Aelin giggled a little bit, possibly from nerves. Although with her, you could never be sure. It could be part of some miraculous ruse to appear less fearless than she really was.

"What did you do?" She asked, shaking her head at Cassian. The sunlight caught in the green and white gems of her tiara, making it sparkle. 

Rhys and I had picked it out together last night. I'd been looking on my own, but when he joined me in the vault he'd selected that one immediately. 

"This was one of my sister's favorites." He'd told me, holding it out to me. I'd tried to refuse because I knew how much it meant to him if it was something his sister loved. But he'd just smiled at me. 

"I said it was one of her favorites, not mine. Give it to Aelin, as a gift from us. It deserves to be worn by someone like her." 

Looking at Aelin now, I was glad I'd decided to give it to her. 

"I may have done some damage to the city." Cassian hedged. "Nothing major." 

"You took down an entire building." Cressieda reminded him. "Very major." 

"Anyway." Tarquin waved his hand, changing the subject. "Follow me, you're only the third group to arrive. We're still waiting on Beron, Thesan, and Tamlin. Tamlin is coming, right?" He looked at me. 

"Yes, he is. Lucien and Vassa haven't answered, but they should come if they could get away." I told him as we followed him inside. Tarquin looked over his shoulder at Aelin, noting her crown. She'd wanted to wear her sword as well, but Mor and I had convinced her that was a bad idea. 

"Queen Aelin Galathynius, I presume?" He asked. She bobbed a small curtsy while she walked. 

"Pleasure." She told him. She looked around at the palace walls embedded with seashells. "I love your home. I've had bad experiences with beaches, but Adriata is beautiful." 

"Thank you," Tarquin replied, giving her an odd look. She didn't seem to notice. Tarquin's gaze moved to Rowan, who was wearing a new green coat to match Aelin. 

"And who are you?" Tarquin asked him. 

"This is Rowan. He's my mate, and King-Consort of Terrasen." Aelin said for him. She was holding Rowan's hand as they walked, swinging it gently. 

"I could introduce myself, you know," Rowan told Aelin, looking down at her.

"But I do it so much better." 

"Mor!" Viviane came running towards us, going straight for Mor and giving her a big hug. 

"Viviane! High Lady yet?" Mor teased. Viviane slapped her shoulder, rolling her eyes. 

"Hush. Come on, I'll take you the rest of the way. You lot go wait for Thesan, he's on his way." She told the Summer Court royals. Tarquin nodded to her, and the three of them turned back the way they'd come. Viviane instantly turned to Aelin and Rowan. 

"So you're the World-Walkers I've heard so much about." She said. 

"You must be Viviane. Winter Court?" Aelin asked her. I'd filled her in on all the various High Lords and their courts before we'd left.