Chapter 13: The Map

"So, I didn't find much about Prythian or Velaris." Fenrys looked agitated. Probably because he'd been inside all day reading. "However, I found a very old tome buried behind some dust and cobwebs." He plopped a book onto the table and turned it towards Aelin and Rowan. Aelin's eyes widened when she saw the picture. 

"Is that him?" Lysandra asked, peering over her shoulder. The picture depicted a handsome Fae male with dark hair and the wings of a bat. Dark power rolled off him in waves. He looked almost exactly like the male Aelin had seen in Velaris. However... 

"What is that?" Evangeline yelped, pointing to the male's hands and feet. They were tipped with midnight-dark claws, honed to a dangerous point. The male's face was contorted in a snarl, glaring at an unseen enemy off the side of the page. Aelin looked to the writing that explained the illustration. 

"The High Lord of the Night Court faces Hybern's armies in the War." Aelin looked up sharply. "High Lord? Feyre said she was High Lady of Night." 

"Are they related? Or maybe mates?" Lorcan said, pulling the book over to him. He whistled slightly. "Wow. He puts my powers to shame." 

"Did you just admit this 'High Lord' is more powerful than you?" Elide teased. Lorcan scowled, but it held no real fire behind it. 

"In any case..." Fenrys said hastily. "This was all I could find on anything related to Velaris or Prythian. This book speaks of a world of the same name. There's even-" He flipped a few pages of the book, revealing a detailed map. "A map of the land. Apparently, the Fae dominate everything there." 

Aelin leaned forward to examine the map. Autumn Court, Day Court, Winter Court, an island called Hybern... and something labeled only as 'The Wall.' 

"Look! There!" Evangeline cried, pointing to the top of the map

"Look! There!" Evangeline cried, pointing to the top of the map. A vast territory labeled 'Night Court' crested the top of the center landmass. But Evangeline's finger rested on a tiny dot near the western edge of the Night Court. 

"Velaris." Aelin breathed. "It's real." 

"What?" Fenrys barked, coming around to look at the map. "I looked that map over ten times, and I couldn't find Velaris! Where is it?" 

"You weren't looking hard enough, then," Evangeline said, sounding quite pleased with herself.

"Well, the damn map must be magic or something, because-"

"It probably is." Manon interrupted, making everyone jump again. Aelin wondered how the witch could possibly be so sneaky with her white hair acting as a beacon. "This book is old enough to have been made long before the King of Adarlan banished magic. Only a map made with magic could depict another world." 

"Makes sense," Dorian grunted. He and the rest of his court had been filled in already. Chaol and Yrene were the only ones currently not present, as they had left when Katrien had begun to cry.