Chapter 19: The Portal

Aelin stared down at Orynth in a daze. The people were all rushing around, obviously panicking. She could hear their cries from here. 

"You need to stop it!" Evangeline begged, tugging on Aelin's arm. Aelin's vision sharpened at her words, and she felt something click in her. Hot, molten anger poured into her heart. The gods had ruined her before. She would not let it happen again. 

She stretched out a hand, calling out to the flames surrounding the city. She could feel them, even from so far away. They felt familiar. Like the endless power she had once had. 

"Evangeline. Step back." She told the girl. Evangeline obeyed, going back to Lysandra's side. Aelin closed her eyes. She reached out to the flames, wrapping them in a cocoon and forcing them to subside. This time, she refused to be disobeyed. She distantly heard Aedion gasp, but she ignored it. She had to protect her people. 

Aelin felt a tug in her gut, and heat at her fingertips. Her eyes flew open, and she saw the flames were growing dimmer. They were vanishing from the rooftops, dissipating into the air. Aelin took a shaky breath, then closed her fist. With one last whisper, the flames flickered out. 

The city was quiet. Aelin felt as if it was holding its breath. Then, a loud cry arose throughout the city. The people were crying in relief, cheering for her. Aelin let herself smile. She turned back to her cousin, who was staring at her. He returned her smile, his face washed with relief. But it quickly turned to alarm, and he rushed over to her. 

Before Aelin had even realized she was falling, she had crumpled to the floor. Pain lanced through her, originating over her heart. It seemed to grow worse with each heartbeat, increasing as her blood flowed through her veins. 

Dimly, she heard Aedion shouting for Lysandra to find Yrene. She saw Evangeline kneeling beside her, citrine eyes wide and lined with silver. 

Then everything went black.

-------------------------------

"Aelin. Aelin. Wake up, please wake up." Aelin forced her eyes open and looked towards the voice. She was met with about ten different pairs of eyes staring at her. She jumped, then groaned at the sudden movement. 

"Come back later." She moaned, closing her eyes again against the ache in her chest. One or two people laughed, but it sounded strained. 

"You idiot." Aedion's voice scolded her. "Why the hell you would try to control that much fire, while injured, is beyond me." 

"But it worked, didn't it?" Aelin replied, making her eyes open once more. 

"Yes. It's gone, for now. And there aren't any more of Feyre's water wolves, either." Elide said. "Aelin, what happened? Rowan woke up and ran to get us, then the fires started, and when we got to you... well, you were almost gone." 

"Burn-out," Rowan grumbled from the side. "You are lucky Yrene arrived when she did, Aelin. It could have been much worse." 

Aelin sat up, against the protests of her friends. The room spun, but not as bad as it had before.  She looked down at where the burn had been. All that remained now was a streak of white skin that felt cold to touch. "Deanna used Moon-fire on me. I... Rowan and I, we met Feyre again. And don't ask how he was there-" She said before Lorcan could even finish opening his mouth. "I don't know. I just... dragged him along." 

"Well, what did Feyre say this time?" Manon asked, tapping her iron nails against her witch leathers. 

"She told us about the Cauldron, an object that supposedly created her world. Sometime in her past, it broke, and she fixed it using scores of her magic. She believes the gods have somehow stolen that magic from the Caudron, and that's why we've been seeing her water wolves." 

"So the gods stole her magic as well as yours," Dorian said slowly. "Well, shit. Anything else?" 

Aelin took a deep breath, looking skyward. "Deanna told me her plan. She and the other gods plan to steal all of Prythian's magic and use it to close the doorway I opened in their world. Then they're going to come here, to Terrasen, and wipe us all out." 

Silence. Stifling, crushing, silence. Aelin couldn't bear it. She looked at her mate and found he was already staring at her. 

"You know what I have to do." She whispered, still looking at him. His scowl deepened. 

"What?" Evangeline asked. Rowan looked away, his eyes full of hate. Aelin knew that hate wasn't directed at her. It was meant only for Deanna. But she also knew Rowan was not happy with her for even thinking about doing what she had planned. 

Aelin slid off her bed, standing tall. "I have to travel to Prythian. I have to get to Feyre."

-----------------------------------

Aelin had wanted to go alone. She needed Rowan to stay here and defend Terrasen. She should have known he'd never let that happen. He'd practically been stuck to her all day, giving her no chance to sneak off by herself. 

He really did know her too well. 

At about noon, Aelin was finally ready. She'd dressed in her old assassin's suit, and braided her hair back out of her face. She'd sheathed Goldryn at her waist, along with about fifteen other hidden weapons all over her body. Now, she and Rowan stood out in the gardens, preparing for their trip to Prythian. 

"Please try not to die," Lysandra begged, pulling Aelin into a tight embrace. "We still need you here." 

"I won't," Aelin reassured her. "I promise, we'll be back before you even know we're gone." After letting go of Lysandra, she turned to her cousin, who was standing between Fenrys and Ren. 

She stepped up to him."Don't let anything happen to Terrasen. Protect it with your life. Understand?" 

Aedion nodded gravely. "Just come back alive, cousin." He let her hug him, and then she turned to Elide and Evangeline. 

"All will be as you left it." Elide promised. "Try not to worry too much, Aelin." 

"Thank you, Elide." Aelin said, smiling gratefully at the Lady of Perranth. Evangeline rushed forward to hug her, and Aelin caught the girl just in time. 

"Please be careful," Evangeline whispered into Aelin's hair. Aelin nodded, feeling her throat close up slightly. 

After one last squeeze, Aelin let go and stood up. She turned lastly to Dorian, Chaol, and Yrene, who was holding Katrien tightly. 

"We leave for Adarlan tomorrow," Dorian told her. "But Manon said she'd stay a few more days to help." 

"I understand. Thank you, Dorian, for coming here." Aelin said. 

"If anything happens, we'll be back here to help as soon as we can." Chaol said. She blinked, not quite able to respond. Wordlessly, she nodded to both men, then turned to walk back to her mate. 

She took his hand, noting that he'd already drawn the Wyrdmarks onto the stone pathway. "Ready to see Velaris?" 

"No." He responded. He met her eyes, a wry smile on his face. "But I suppose we have to anyway."

He finished the last Wyrdmark with his foot, then tapped it. The marks began to glow, and a tear appeared in the air in front of them. Aelin closed her eyes, picturing the snow-capped mountains and the starry sky that were burned into her memory. When she opened them, the tear had widened, showing a city glowing with life, set into the valley of a mountain range. From here, Aelin could see three bright stars twinkling at the peak of the tallest mountain. 

She looked back once more at her court. She swallowed, hard. "We'll see you all soon." 

Then she jumped into the rift, pulling Rowan with her.

Art by evilienne!!

I don't remember how they open Wyrdgates in the books ;-; I kinda just took what I knew and guessed. Sorry if my description differs from the books!!