Chapter 14: The Suriel

When we met up with Mor and Amren, Rhys and I tried not to act any different. But tamping down my grin was very, very hard. 

"Well, you two did a pretty good job. I'm impressed." I told them, inspecting the trap they had set. 

"Please, I did most of it," Mor said. "And-" Suddenly, a loud snap rang throughout the quiet forest. We all turned to look back where Rhys and I had come from. 

"Something set off the trap," Mor said, which seemed obvious. 

"Let's hope it's a Suriel." Rhys said. He grabbed Mor and me by our hands, and Mor grabbed Amren. We winnowed quickly to my trap, and we were not disappointed. 

I thought I'd be prepared to see another Suriel. I wasn't. This one, if possible, was even thinner than the one I'd known. Its robes were much newer, however, and I wondered if it'd been caught recently by someone else. 

"Ah. Feyre Cursebreaker. The Morrigan. High Lord. And..." The Suriel's already grotesque face sneered at Amren. She sneered right back. 

"We have some questions for you." She said. She walked a bit closer to it. "We want to know what you know about a land called Erilea. Specifically, a kingdom with the name of Terrasen, and the queen who rules there." 

The Suriel knit its bony fingers together. "You are speaking of a place that does not exist in this world."

"Yes, we guessed at that. She's from another realm, isn't she? This queen?" Mor asked. The Suriel nodded very slowly. 

"Indeed. I believe you speak of a queen by the name of Galathynius, correct?" At our nods, he continued. "She governs Terrasen, the land of her forbearers. Her reign brought Kinsgflame to bloom, a sign of a blessed ruler. She-" 

"Tell us why she was here." Amren hissed. "We don't care if she's the greatest queen Terrasen ever had. We want to know why she and her damned gods are after Feyre." 

The Suriel was silent. It definitely didn't like us very much. Suriels might not be able to lie, but they can bend the truth and speak nonsense rather than the whole story. 

"I cannot see." The Suriel finally said. "That answer is hidden from me. All I know is that this queen once fought these gods you speak of. She defeated them, banishing them to another realm."

"That doesn't-"

"She used most of her well of magic to create a Lock, a device that closes doors between worlds. In doing so, her magic became a lifeline between worlds, connecting them while still keeping them separate." 

"What does this have to-" 

"The Lock has been broken." 

Amren snarled, obviously tired of being interrupted. "So what? The Lock's been broken. I'm assuming that means the gods were set free, and now they want revenge on Queen Aelin?" 

"Perhaps." The Suriel said mysteriously. 

"But why do they want me?"  I asked, stepping forward. "What do I have to do with all of this?" 

The Suriel turned to face me. "I have told you. This is veiled from me." 

"The only thing powerful enough to hide your vision is the Cauldron. What could be more powerful than that?" I demanded. The Suriel tilted its head to the side. 

"What a question. You, of course, Cursebreaker." 

Starfall art by Monica Borg!

Ok. So. Last chapter I was ranting about the song "Please Take Me" by Beth Crowley. I went to my Spotify Wrapped for this year... and guess what was my top song? XDXD Apparently I listened to "Please Take Me" 51 times from January to August. Obsessed, much? 😂And I was totally right in guessing who my top artists would be. Beth Crowley, Victoria Carbol, Imagine Dragons and Taylor Swift for the win!! Woohoo!!