Chapter 4: The Flames

I rejoined everyone on the roof, already summoning my own wings from my back. 

"I assume we'll be flying?' I asked Azriel. He nodded. He took Mor, Cassian took Amren, and we were off. 

As soon as we were in the sky, my stress from earlier melted away. I'd gotten much better at flying, although I still wasn't as good as the Illyrians. But it was always beautiful, no matter my skill. 

"Over there!" Mor suddenly yelled, pointing down at the streets. Among the gathered crowds of the Palace of Thread and Jewels, I could see a wolf prowling the streets. People had stopped to look at it, probably thinking that it was mine. I tucked in my wings and shot out of the skies, landing on the cobblestone streets. I stumbled a bit, but it was better than my usual attempts. Once I'd put away my wings and Cassian, Rhys, and Azriel had landed, we all walked over to where the wolf was walking around. 

Up close, I could see how Azriel hadn't believed me. It was an exact copy of the wolves I'd made to fight Hybern. Down to every last tooth, claw, and hair. 

"By the Cauldron..." I murmured, stepping towards it. It looked at me, stopping its pacing to stare into my face. I crouched down in front of it, examining it. 

"See what I mean?" Azriel asked. "It's an exact copy of yours." 

"You're right. But it isn't mine." I said, standing again. The wolf growled and resumed its pacing. "Did you see any-?" 

Suddenly a loud shriek echoed across the square. I spun around, and my mouth dropped open. A huge fire had erupted from nowhere, glowing with a power that made it clear it was magical flames. It was spreading across the streets, following the lines between the stones. 

"What the hell?" Amren yelled, jumping back from a flame that came dangerously near her feet. "Where did this come from??" 

I ignored her, preparing to use my magic to douse it. But before I could begin, Rhys grabbed my arm and lowered it. 

"Wait. Look." He said, pointing at the golden flames. I looked closer. The flames had calmed slightly and were no longer roaring as they had been a moment ago. If I didn't know better, I'd say they looked almost... alive. Like they were dancing in the wind. 

And then I noticed something. The flames were burning, but I felt no difference in temperature. There was still a crisp mountain chill in the air, ignoring the heat that should be coming from the fire. 

"It's not burning anything. Why isn't it burning anything?" Mor asked, tilting her head a bit. She seemed to see something because she took a step closer, then another.

"Azriel." She said. He was by her side instantly. "Take me into the air, above the fire. I think I see something." 

He obeyed, scooping her up and taking off. He hovered above the tall rooftops of the Palace, and Mor examined the fire. I saw her eyes widen. 

"Rhys, Feyre, you better come see this." 

Perhaps sensing the alarm in Mor's voice, Rhys didn't give me the chance to shape-shift myself, but scooped me into his arms and shot into the sky. He hovered next to Azriel, and I looked down. 

I practically felt my eyes pop out. "What symbol is that? That's not any of the Courts." I said. The symbol was a burning gold circle, with a stag's head at the center. Between the stag's mighty antlers was a golden crown, alight with an even brighter gold glow. 

I heard rather than saw Cassian and Amren join us in the skies. 

"I don't know." I was surprised to hear it from Amren, so surprised that I looked over at her. 

"You don't know?" Rhysand demanded. Amren just shook her head, mystified. 

"If I did, I would tell you. But I don't know this. And believe me, that's hard to admit." 

I glanced back down at the streets to see the flames were disappearing. The people of Velaris had seemed to catch on that it wasn't dangerous, and had continued about their days by skirting around it. We all watched as the fire burned out, and the symbol slowly vanished into thin air, not even a trace of it left. 

Art by Monica Borg!

According to the Wiki page, today is Rhysand's birthday! Happy birthday to everyone's favorite High Lord!! (Or, at least my favorite... :D)